Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS launch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rdcdbd

rdcdbd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:01 AM

I have a SONY VAIO portable running Windows 10. When I shut down and then turn the power back on, I get a black screen and several minutes are required to launch the OS. I assumed this was a hardware problem and tried first changing the battery since the computer is not young. To no effect. Can anyone confirm the problem is hardware and perhaps suggest a solution? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

Please post system specs as that can help to diagnose the problem.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#3 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Specs as in attachment. Enough?

Sorry, didn't make it, did it?
Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

Is fast start up enabled in windows?

https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

If its enabled actually disable it, it may sound counter intuitive but it may be a good idea to disable it.

For some the "windows fast boot" option is a load of crap under some hardware

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 rdcdbd

rdcdbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:43 AM

Aaaah! If only computer science were intuitive! Then maybe artificial intelligence would be less artificial. :)

Anyway, I found it and tried it. However, to test, I had to shut the computer down (I've had it sleeping only for some time now, rebooting regularly). Now it won't come back on. Power shows on and there is ventilation from time to time but no HD activity however many times I try. Before, I always got a result after several tries. So I'm going to give up and take out the hard disk. I have to work with my data. If there's anything I can do to save the machine without too much effort, I'll try but I've already bought a new computer. Too bad about the money wasted on batteries. Thanks anyway!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Well at least you may have another hard drive to play with now, you could make a laptop drive into a external drive with a enclosure if the hard drive is still viable.

Or use it as spare internal drive on either a laptop or a desktop, for the desktop there are plenty of adapters and brackets to make it compatible.

So its not a total loss, shame about the machine though.

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 March 2018 - 08:57 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users