Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Computer Freezes During Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmakexmachina

dmakexmachina

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been having ongoing difficulties with my computer freezing during updates. It first began nearly six months ago, but until recently I was able to eventually get the updates pushed through until around December. Now, no matter what I do, the computer will either freeze at around 84% completion or will shutdown and restart to a black screen at approximately that point of the installation. I have to reset my computer at that point, which prompts my computer to try and recover the update. This fails and my computer returns to the previous state. I have noticed motherboard errors when I restart, almost always 99 & A2 though sometimes others. Additionally, sometimes when I reset my computer, the fans will go to max rpms for a few minutes before going back to normal, which is typically followed by an audible clicking sound.

I've tried registry repairs, windows update troubleshooter, and a fresh windows install without wiping the system and none of these worked. In fact, when it tried to do a clean windows install, the same problem occurred.

When my computer is not trying to update, everything appears fine. It occasionally runs slower than it seems it should, but no crashes even when running demanding games.

Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XqdiVznorUTdtPxnxiTKHjy

Power supply unit: Rosewill Hive 750w 80+ Bronze PSU

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmakexmachina

dmakexmachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

I was continuing to work on my computer today, following the pinned BSOD posting instructions and another problem has occurred. I created a memtest86 bootable USB and was attempting to boot to the BIOS, and my computer has now been stuck at "Testing multiprocessor support" for about 15 minutes.

>edit: it never finished with that test. I have no idea where to go from here.

Edited by dmakexmachina, 30 March 2018 - 01:38 AM.

#3 dmakexmachina

dmakexmachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

I have continued to try to fix my computer to no avail. After failing to boot into memtest, I tried to do an HDD wipe and reinstall of windows. When I tried to go the route of using the executable downloaded from Microsoft's website, I kept encountering an error, but when I went through Settings -> reset Windows, I was able to do a reset that way. Even with a clean windows installation and no previous files, my computer continues to freeze on updates. Deciding to follow the lead of motherboard errors, I first cleared the CMOS, which did nothing. I caved and bought a new motherboard and installed it. I once again tried a fresh windows installation and then tried to update. Again, I encountered the same problem. Can anyone give me any insight about this?

New mobo is Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P.

Edited by dmakexmachina, 06 April 2018 - 01:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users