Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft (this Is For Everyone!)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

I have just been reading around sounds and so many people hate microsoft and so many people love them.

I just want to know what people think of Microsoft here at bleepingcomputer.

So please post your thoughts on Microsoft and why you say what you have posted.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:37 AM

Like: programs are usually fairly easy to use and user friendly
Dislike: programs are full of security holes, and there is too much forcing the user to use other Microsoft products in order for things to work.

Internet Explorer: I want to be able to see every cookie that is placed on my computer. Firefox has a nice easy to find folder, IE doesn't. With exploration, you can find some of the cookies, but not all. It's either keep all or delete many, but not all, just those in the can't find folder location. I want a "for session only" option for cookies. I want tabbed browsing; it's a lot nicer and easier to manage. The tabs have enough of the page title that I know what site it is at a glance, but after a certain number of open pages with IE, the taskbar icons pile on each other, and I have to call up them all up, and through trial and error find the one I want as it doesn't provide enough information to ID the site. Grrr!!! I don't want to have to click on "more information" every darned time I get a cookie alert. I want it to stay at full view unless I tell it otherwise.

Microsoft Word has the absurd practice of putting an upper border line at the beginning of endnotes. I have to manually delete each and every one of those lines. That border line is supposed to be used only for footnotes, why in creation don't they fix that? The program's been around long enough. The other thing with endnotes; standard format is to start them on a fresh page. With IE, I have to manually change each document so the endnotes start on a fresh page; otherwise, they start at the end of the last page of the main body. I can't get the dratted program to put the bibliography after the endnotes. Document structure should be: Title page, preface if there is one, intro. if there is one, main body, endnotes, bibliography. This is Standard Operating Procedure and should be part of the program design, but no-o-o-o I have to create a separate document for the bibiography and then keep adjusting the page numbers when I edit the main document so the page numbers won't have a repeat or a gap. Grrr!!!! I wish it would cooperate with me on bullets. I have some fairly complex bullet patterns that I use, and Word doesn't want to cooperate. I wish it had automatic hyphen like WordPerfect does so I don't have these huge white spaces at the ends of lines. Using right side justification just causes a bunch of inappropriate white space to appear in the line of text. An example from a newspaper:
A iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 October 2006 - 02:38 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

Microsoft Word has the absurd practice .........

Have you checked out Open Office?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

Microsoft is one of the companies you'll love to hate. You can swear up and down against it, however if you hate it so much then why are you posting from a computer which is running windows (and possibly using IE?)

I hate MS but I still continue to Windows, however with protection (Firefox, Kerio, Kaspersky etc..)

Between OO.o and MS Word, I'd pick MS Word because nothing can beat it's grammar check. Not too many people actually use it, but when you are writing and (if you write like me), certain words just drop out in the process of typing. (and if your sentence doesn't make sense, it'll correct it for you).

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, i'm still using XP because Linux doesn't work well with the majority of my programs. Also, i have an ATI (integrated) graphix card, which i have NEVER been able to configure right on dual-boot or live disks.

So, due to compatibility issues, i continue to use XP. If i ever get a new video card, or Linux gets friendly w/ ATI, i'd LOVE to switch over to a Linux-run box.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Have you checked out Open Office?

I just found out about it a few weeks ago, and I'm learning how to use it. :thumbsup:

I'd pick MS Word because nothing can beat it's grammar check.

WordPerfect has a grammar check too. A word about Word's grammar check: it isn't fool proof by a long shot - it is a useful tool, but it misses errors, flags correct things as incorrect (false positives), will find a problem but identify it incorrectly. The same goes for spell check. I could post things that MS Word says were absolutely correct, and you'd see a bunch of spelling and grammatical errors.

I use Firefox by the way. Why do I use windows and MSWord so much? Compatibility with the university. While I could use WordPerfect to create documents that I would submit as a hard copy, I had professors who insisted on MS Word documents in electronic form. Also, for several years, I was stuck using computers at the public library that didn't have anything but MS products on it; I didn't have a computer of my own. The university does have WordPerfect though.

I don't use Outlook at all for anything. My brother warned me away from it, and I'll take his word for it. He's the expert. Through e-mail communication, he helped me set up my computer's security, and I've had only a few minor problems in the 3 years I've had my computer.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 October 2006 - 07:30 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

If you want to see something new in spell-check. Check out the new Firefox 2.0 RC1. When you type in forums or practically anywhere, it automatically does spell check for you. It isn't perfect (but then again, what is?), but it can come in very handy for posting on forums.

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

True...we all LOVE to hate MS. Personally, there's a lot of things I dislike about some of their big products, but mostly, I think they deserve all the credit in the world.

Here's my personal views on some of their products (other than Windows):

1) IE 6 - The most infamous browser of all time - the swiss cheese of them all! But let's look at the facts. Less than 5 years ago, if you ONLY had virus protection and an updated OS, you were pretty much safe from hackers, worms and Trojans. But since the release of XP (late 2001) and IE-6, new threats such as Spyware, Adware, backdoor trojans, keyloggers, etc. etc. have risen exponentially and the number of computers that are infected is downright frightening. The release of IE was just before the evolution of the new threat and MS wasn't prepared. So don't blame MS for a leaky browser. But DO blame them for constantly re-releasing patches, because lately, the patches they release to better the security cause more problems.

2) Live-One Care - An excellent product, especially their on-line free scanner/cleaner. I used it, it defrag'd all my hard drives, fixed over 300 registry errors and cleaned out my temp files. My computer has never run faster. Get it at: http://safety.live.com

3) MS Office - Several quirks about this:
a) They still haven't fixed the "runaway spreadsheet" when you drag your mouse below the visible spreadsheet to highlight cells.
:thumbsup: Get rid of the stupid "paper clip" helper.
c) Their help menus are useless.

4) Windows Media Player 10 - Another one of their better products. It's the only really player you need on your box....except if you want to play .ram files. Then you need Realplayer....which, in my opinion is bloated and makes itself too much at home on your system. It is probably, one of the best Media players out there.

5) IE-7 Haven't used it, but I've heard very good things about it. I'll get it when it's officially released through Windows Updates. Any one know when this will come out mainstream?

:flowers:

#9 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

i dont understand why everybody want to bad month mircosoft,it is more user friendly then other os, and ive try other,cant stand linux or apple os.maybe people should take a class on how to keep there computer free of virus, spywarei have tryed differant browsers i will stick with ie.think about it if you were a spammer or hacker or virus writer who would you go after.the os that most of the world uses or some other os.these people want to get noticed so that go after the os that used the most
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

I don't like Microsoft, mainly because I feel like I'm stuck with it. Most of my games won't run on Linux, last I checked. Win95 and 98 were constantly crashing on me, XP is soooo much better, I have to really work to crash it. I also think Office should be included with your OS, many people want to use a good word processor and spread sheet. Why should they have to pay so much for the ones that you know won't cause problems with the OS?
I used Linux a few years back but took it off when I moved here, my new ISP said they could not connect with it, so I went back to Windows. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

XP is soooo much better, I have to really work to crash it.

May I please have your computer? My lappy (which I am replacing with a desktop next week) has no trouble whatsoever crashing Windows XP. None at all. :thumbsup:

And yes, Windows is the operating system that we all love to hate. If more of my programs ran with Linux, I would switch in a heartbeat!

#12 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

Gotta love to hate them...

The real problem here is that Microsoft is dominating the market and since so many people run windows game developers don't bother making apple or linux game versions because it just doesn't make economical sense...

Plus think of all the students that have dumb professors that insist on excel speadsheets, powerpoint presentations and word document. Try going to university with a Macbook you will see you will have a pain in the rear end when handing projects and stuff...

We all hate it but we will have to live with it untill some people start understanding how much change can be a good thing...

Also I still know people when you ask them what their computer is they don't give you the cpu, ammount of ram, hardrive size ect... they still give the version of Windows they use... I have a Windows 98 machine or I have a Windows XP machine that is about all they know...

And their programs only work with their services and stuff and that really pisses me off alot... and is it just me or are they always trying to find a way of sucking money out of your pocket... if something is free from microsoft you better read the fine print before signing on the dotted line...

Edited by Klinkaroo, 16 October 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#13 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

Actually klink, some of the more "hardcore" games run on almost every OS. World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, etc. all run on linux, apple, windows, you name it. I guess the games generally considered for "casual gamers" are restricted to the windows hardware/drivers.

As for the college thing, around here at NCSU, almost every professor swears by linux, considering Red Hat was created on campus :thumbsup:. All my intelligent professors laugh when someone asks "what's the windows command for ----".

I agree with the "Windows increases ignorance" regarding computers. Most people can't even figure out how to CONFIGURE windows, let alone know anything about the hardware or how it works. This leads to vultures swooping in to correct microsofts problems and collecting a TON of money off if it (GeekSquad, i'm looking in your direction).

Of course, a lot of people today don't really CARE what goes on with their computers, as long as their credit cards stay safe and they can get their work done..... bah....

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

Well, I care what goes on my computer, but sometimes finding the information is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, and then 9 times out of 10 the information is in computereze, Microsoft security bulletins a case in point, instead of in the common parlance. That's one reason why I was so glad to find the BleepingComputer site.

I'm also very curious as to why printed manuals are a rarity these days. How on earth is one to read an electronic manual if the computer isn't even hooked up yet, much less to the internet? Why don't new computers open with a screen such as this: to keep your computer clean and running as smoothly as possible, do the following ....

By the way, Indiana University does have at least some support for Mac computers, and they do offer Red Hat and Linux as operating systems, but the computer clusters - as far as I can tell - all use Windows XP Pro which is what they recommend to the students.

And yes, I've had professors insist on MS word documents which drove me nuts because at that time I was more familiar with WordPerfect which actually is easier to use in creating academic documents. Microsoft Word, as I stated earlier, does not correctly configure the endnotes. Haven't tried it in OpenOffice yet.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users