Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatted too much! Nothing will boot!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 divinefool

divinefool

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

Let me know if this is not in the right area, since i could not find a general pc error area and i am using W7 i went here.

I am completely at a loss here. I built a bootable USB with Windows 7 and attempted to install on my SSD (Newly acquired PC). In the process i started trying to delete partitions because windows would not start install on ssd or hdd that i had installed. After wiping everything pc would not boot. PC would not boot from USB, from CDROM, from anything. I changed bootable USB programs to partition programs and ultimate boot and got nothing. Ive spent many hours trying everything i could find and am completely at a loss and believe i made it even worse. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Windows 7 install DVD?

Are there any partitions on the SSD on which you tried to install?  There is no reason to partition a drive before installing Windows...that is part of the install process conducted by Windows.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

Do you have a Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation ISO file?

Do you already have a 25 character Windows Product Key you will need to activate the new installation and if you do what Windows Edition is it for (Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc.).

Describe you you "built a bootable USB with Windows 7".

Does newly acquired mean second hand, assembled from components, store bought or something else you will describe?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag number?

If the system is an HP what is the Serial Number?

Did the system work okay prior to this incident - because you said "After wiping everything pc would not boot".

If the system used to work okay what was the OS installed?

Describe how you "wiped everything on the pc".  Not like Hillary who would use a rag.

Tell us what was the "everything" that was wiped and how did you wipe everything if the system will not boot?

If you "changed bootable USB programs" what was the bootable program before and what was the next bootable USB program you used?

You changed to "partition programs" - what partition programs would those be and how were you able to use them if the system will not boot?

You changed to "ultimate boot" - what does that mean and how did you change to it?

What I would do would be:

1. Acquire a Windows 7 SP1 ISO Edition (Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc) that matches the Product Key
  2. From a working system use something like ImgBurn to make a bootable DVD or rufus to make a bootable USB (or make both)
  3. Install then activate with the 25 character Product Key (if necessary)

Edited by joseibarra, 29 March 2018 - 08:07 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

Thank you for replies. To your response:
I have created a bootable usb using Rufus with a windows 7 sp1 iso. I do have an activation key for when windows will get installed.
The computer is a custom build. The previous owner had the hard drive installed with Mac OS. I mistakenly thought I would have no issue reformatting by booting the windows installer.
I assume the system worked ok, but it was a Mac boot up and I did not see it fully boot into the OS.

The wiped everything came when the windows installer opened for the first and only time. There was the screen to select the disk for the OS to install. There were many partitions for both the ssd and the hdd. On nothing was I allowed to install, or create new partition. So then I began deleting the partitions on the drives thinking that I had to remove what was there for the install to happen. This did not work and when I tried to restart and install again the usb flash stopped being recognized, and the cds I tried to used reported no medium.
The cds I tried to use are mini tool partition wizard iso thinking I needed to get into the wizard to set partition as active or just figure out what went wrong. I also tried ultimatebootcd. The computer would just not boot from cd or usb and leaves the insert bootable media and press a key

Thanks for asking the deeper questions. I think I deleted some important stuff but I feel like I should be able to fix it. I was thinking finding a buddy with a tower and installing windows on one of my drives through his rig. Id rather figure out what to do here.
Let me know

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Do you get a post beep?

Can you access your BIOS settings?

#6 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

I can access bios and have been fooling around with boot order and such to no avail.

Mobo - Asus p6x58d-e Lga 1366 Intel x58

I can confirm beep when I am home in a bit.

Also, the partitions I deleted, one was like 200mb and there were a few other small ones too.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

Efficient problem solving is easiest when the right questions are asked.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Here is your manual support page. Page 3-30 explains setting Boot Priority. Page 3-31. Make sure QuickBoot is disabled.

Because you get a beep code, make sure your Monitor cable is securely attached. Swap another monitor if you have one.

Doing a powercycle may help. Shutdown and pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power cord and boot with the install disk.

If that does not work pull the CMOS battery and do the powercycle. Before removing the CMOS battery first ground yourself on some bare metal of the case.

Deleting partitions should not affect how your computer boots a CD/USB. A bootable disk should work even with no drives present.

#9 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

I thought I was strange to have issues booting from usb/cd despite formatting drives.
I will trouble shoot soon.

Thanks

#10 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Ok! Crisis seems to be averted. I removed the CMOS battery with power cycle. I got the same error messages, though was able to get the pc to open up boot menu that lets me select what to boot from. The pc would not let me access that before even when i would press F8 rapidly. I booted from the USB and windows started. 

Now I am installing windows on a 320 hdd. I have a 1tb hdd that is giving me an SMART bad status so that will be used for extra space. 

The final issue is that my SSD is not appearing as a drive. The ssd used to appear in the BIOS as Corsair flash, and this time around it did not, and it did not appear in the Windows install screen. Of course, i am more than happy i am getting windows onto this PC, i am now wondering what is going on with the SSD.

Many thanks

#11 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

I am trouble shooting this, and will work towards figuring this fix out.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

I would do the following after installing Windows on the HDD.

Detach the HDD and only connect the SSD to the motherboard.

Boot the Windows disk. At the language screen press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

Is your SSD listed? 

#13 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

Disk part lists the SSD, before, the wire came loose in the tower when i was foolin around in there. Though on my BIOS there is no SSD in the SATA area, only the CDROM drives and the HDD. I am trouble shooting how to get the BIOS to recognize.... and maybe there is something i can do here in diskpart.

#14 divinefool

divinefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

I am currently at the point of successful diskpart and convert to mbr. The installer recognizes the SSD now, though says that the drive needs 8000mb free to start the install.... troubleshooting this now.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

You can clean the drive using diskpart. This is assuming you only have the SSD drive attached.

At the language screen press Shift + F10. At the command prompt type

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0    0 is default on a one disk system. If you do have more than one disk installed make sure you select the correct number from the list disk command

clean               clears the partition table and sets the disk up for a clean install

convert MBR   initializes the disk as MBR. If you get an error ignore it.

exit

exit

Continue with the install. Select Custom Install. You will see your hard drive unpartitioned and not formatted. Click Next and Windows will partition and format the drive for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 March 2018 - 06:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users