Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photos lost from SD card and replaced with κκη file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frab49

frab49

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Hi,

My mother was looking through some old photos on her camera, when her camera completely froze.

She turned the camera off and on again, but her many years of photos all disappeared, leaving her quite upset.

Although we have many backed up, more recent ones are now unavailable.

I examined the files on the card, and along with the two folders DCIM and MISC, there is now a new file êêêêêêêê.êêÇ Type ÊÊÇ file - 0 bytes.

The properties of this 8gb card show that over 6gb is used, but we cannot see where the photos are.

7,7,819,264 total disk space

96 kb in 1 hidden file

96 kb in three folders

6,457,344 kb in 2,594 files

1,361,696 kb are available

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit

244,352 total allocation units on disk

42,553 allocation units available on disk

We tried checking for errors and showing all hidden files, but this has not worked.

We also tried scanning for viruses but nothing came up.

We are using Windows 7 and the card is Kodak 8gb SD HC card.

Any suggestions please?

Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

I think your chances of recovering those files are small. It looks like the file system has been corrupted. That being said download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a program called PhotoRec. Do not use QPhotoRec as the recovery algorithm is not as strong. 

See the below guide and video. Attach the SD card to your computer and do the scan. It will recover a lot of files if possible including thumbnails. They will have generic names. 

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LU_hSL3C4

If None does not work then use intel. Select Whole instead of Free. Use Paranoid. The files are recovered in Real Time and into the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 March 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

are they really important pictures?  I just purchased some data recovery hardware for $3500 and included with it was a SD adapter so I can recover sd cards that have corrupted firmware.

I'd be willing to try it out for yeah to see if we can recover the data?

shoot me a PM if interested.

Edited by mightywiz, 30 March 2018 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users