Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yudell426

yudell426

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi.

I have an 'out of warranty' Gateway computer that needs updated drivers in order to install the new windows 10 update build 1709.

Gateway doesn't have them. Microsoft isn't providing them.

Any suggestions on where i can some 3rd party drivers? This looping M.S. update is driving me wild! 

I'm currently working with Windows 10 Home 64 bit, build 1607

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

The first thing I'd suggest you do is to try updating to Version 1709 using the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file if that's not the technique you're using.

My downstairs desktop is an ancient Gateway machine that's made it up to the latest version of Windows 10 without any problem and without any need to seek out drivers.  It is not unusual, particularly if the machine went to Windows 10 via an in-place upgrade, for a later feature update to "get stuck" when applied via the usual Windows Update process.  Very often it "gets unstuck" if you use the ISO file update method instead.  (And before you ask, I have no idea why, it just often does).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Thanks Brian for responding. 

I forgot to include my Gateway model No. which is DX-50. Yes, I did try the iso file with no luck.

I also tried installing while in 'safe mode', also with no luck. I've tried installing with and without my anti-virus program running. I've also received a number of error codes with each attempted install. A couple of examples being 0x80072ee7 & 0x8007043c. This update typically installs up to 81% in about 2hrs. then craps out. I've let the computer run for 24hrs. twice and once for 36 hrs. with turning it off, only to find it stuck at 81%. It has to be the drivers...yes?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

I would follow Brian's clean install instructions. Determine if you have a UEFI or Legacy BIOS. Open Disk Management. If you have a FAT32 EFI partition then you have a UEFI computer and would use the convert GPT command.

Backup any data you need as the diskpart commands wipes the drive.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

I take it you updated the BIOS?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 addysmith97

addysmith97

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:36 AM

I like Brian's Suggestions, 

The first thing I'd suggest you do is to try updating to Version 1709 using the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file if that's not the technique you're using.

My downstairs desktop is an ancient Gateway machine that's made it up to the latest version of Windows 10 without any problem and without any need to seek out drivers.  It is not unusual, particularly if the machine went to Windows 10 via an in-place upgrade, for a later feature update to "get stuck" when applied via the usual Windows Update process.  Very often it "gets unstuck" if you use the ISO file update method instead.  (And before you ask, I have no idea why, it just often does).

I think you should go with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users