Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats this with Linux and Windows... :/

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Whats this..

Why is MS allowing Linux distros on there OS?

Does MS don't care anymore about there OS..?

Or is MS focusing on other Products like: Azure, Services..?

Or do they just want Developers..?

Where is MS going these days..?  

:/

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 28 March 2018 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Why not? Various distros that run virtual can save your bacon when there is a Windows corruption and you can't access your data because Windows won't boot. I can't begin to number the times I have pulled vital data off a computer that won't boot before reinstalling Windows. Plus, it's just plain fun to surf the internet without a firewall or AV, since the whole OS disappears when you shut it down.

Where is MS going these days

Where do you think a multi-billion dollar company wants to go??  More business, More power, and More money. Why do you think MS is putting everything on the cloud and removing control of your own computer from You to Them?  Why are they now flashing ads and have a "store" where you can make purchases on W10?

Linux is one of the very few institutions that believes in freedom of computing and power to the users. Don't knock them, they are the only friend users' have.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Why not? Various distros that run virtual can save your bacon when there is a Windows corruption and you can't access your data because Windows won't boot. I can't begin to number the times I have pulled vital data off a computer that won't boot before reinstalling Windows. Plus, it's just plain fun to surf the internet without a firewall or AV, since the whole OS disappears when you shut it down.

Where is MS going these days

Where do you think a multi-billion dollar company wants to go??  More business, More power, and More money. Why do you think MS is putting everything on the cloud and removing control of your own computer from You to Them?  Why are they now flashing ads and have a "store" where you can make purchases on W10?

Linux is one of the very few institutions that believes in freedom of computing and power to the users. Don't knock them, they are the only friend users' have.

So what you basically mean is, 

MS is going further with Windows, and they are also building something (Codenamed: Polaris) the Future of Windows.. 

thats really good for Developers, and power users right?

And i get the point that MS allows Linux into there OS because they want Developers, more things.. (i think?)

I think MS will grow further into the future, what you think about it? 

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

I think that M/Soft is going to do what every large business wants, which is to create an absolute control over it's product (which is operating systems) and the public market itself that orients toward that product (called a monopoly). 

This is the goal of the Polaris project, which is still in the blueprint stage and may or may not materialize. All it does is consist of a single universal engine onto which they can tack various "modules", Polaris being one of them. It's good for M/Soft because they can market new toys to sell to you faster than their competition. What will it mean to the average user?  Easy. A dumbed-down system that uses point & touch on a touchscreen that will take even more privacy and personal options away, just like they are doing with Windows 10, and attempted with the W8 disaster.

Think I'm wrong?  Here is  a link to something I posted in 2016 on another forum, but (IMHO) it validates the point. You will see where M/Soft wants to go.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

I think that M/Soft is going to do what every large business wants, which is to create an absolute control over it's product (which is operating systems) and the public market itself that orients toward that product (called a monopoly). 

This is the goal of the Polaris project, which is still in the blueprint stage and may or may not materialize. All it does is consist of a single universal engine onto which they can tack various "modules", Polaris being one of them. It's good for M/Soft because they can market new toys to sell to you faster than their competition. What will it mean to the average user?  Easy. A dumbed-down system that uses point & touch on a touchscreen that will take even more privacy and personal options away, just like they are doing with Windows 10, and attempted with the W8 disaster.

Think I'm wrong?  Here is  a link to something I posted in 2016 on another forum, but (IMHO) it validates the point. You will see where M/Soft wants to go.

Damn, MS is improving.. i didn't know that :o and what you mean with: "That will take even more privacy and personal options away.." ... I thought MS wanted to give people more Privacy.. or controlling.. :/ So what i see and read is definitly the Future for MS, they are going to improve more, and build there OS, Products even better than now.. damn the future is beautiful

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

Ms in their current incarnation are all about removing choice and privacy from users, that's because they can see no other avenue for profit. Ms took a look at facebook and google and wanted in on the big data industry, they therefore wrecked the operating systems they sold (as far as users are concerned) so as to make their previous product based business ("we'll sell you an operating system") into a data and services business ("here's a free OS, but we're selling your data to advertisers" "hey advertisers, you're the customer now"). The reality is that M$ could still make some profit if they stuck to their old business model of selling a good OS (see windows XP or 7 in their golden ages), but they are lured towards the possible larger profits attainable by selling data instead. Linux features being available within windows 10 is a way that M$ is trying to keep atleast some popularity among the more technically minded users, M$ are however somewhat hostile towards users having Linux distros as their actual OS, rather than simply being run in a virtual machine. M$ have, afterall, allowed manufacturers to sell crippled machines on which secureboot has been locked on to prevent buyers from booting linux and escaping from M$'s increasingly frustrating OS.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

Linux works without all of the problems that Windows 10 seems to be plagued with.

Damn, MS is improving..

Hmm, Yeah right, I sure don't see it, perhaps it's just me. :scratchhead:

... I thought MS wanted to give people more Privacy.. or controlling.. :/ So what i see and read is definitly the Future for MS, they are going to improve more, and build there OS, Products even better than now.. damn the future is beautiful

:hysterical:

M$ are however somewhat hostile towards users having Linux distros as their actual OS, rather than simply being run in a virtual machine. M$ have, afterall, allowed manufacturers to sell crippled machines on which secureboot has been locked on to prevent buyers from booting linux and escaping from M$'s increasingly frustrating OS.

The best choice instead of a prebuilt would be to build your own computer or to seek out a reputable local computer builder to see what they have to offer. :thumbup2:

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 April 2018 - 04:40 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

"Products even better than now.. damn the future is beautiful"
The truth in many ways is that software hasn't actually improved all that much for a while, especially not for things like operating systems. Operating systems peak once you've got one that works well, is stable, is liked by users, gives plenty of opportunity to make it easy to run a wide range of programs and is kept secure and well maintained, XP and windows 7 during their golden ages or Linux Ubuntu and Mint today meet these definitions pretty well. Most of the improvements seen have really just been a matter of more cheaply produced computing hardware, coupled with effects like moore's law and multi-core processing. The other change we've seen is greater availability of computing and a wider spread of the internet. Maybe my post here will, in a few decades, sound as laughable as 1930s predictions of wax phonograh based video phones, but I'm going to say it anyway, "there isn't that much that can be improved in terms of operating systems".

Edited by rp88, 05 April 2018 - 04:28 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

You do realize that Microsoft has completely eliminated the dept. that creates Windows, right.

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-end-of-windows/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

You do realize that Microsoft has completely eliminated the dept. that creates Windows, right.

The end of Windows? :o

will Windows die, or MS..?

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

The end of Windows? :o

will Windows die, or MS..?

Are you serious Microsoft Windows will never die as long as people breathe air.

Microsoft Windows is all some users have ever known and ever will know and ever will learn.

No Microsoft Windows will not end or will not die anytime in the near future or perhaps ever.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Why would M/Soft kill the Goose that lays golden eggs?? They wish to engulf everything, and now (IMHO !) they have their crosshairs aimed at Linux. They want to incorporate three Linux OSs into the Windows store.

Microsoft has announced at its Build developer conference in Seattle that three different flavors of the free Linux operating system are coming to the company's app store

Just last year, the company brought Ubuntu on Windows 10, worked with FreeBSD to develop a Virtual Machine image for its Azure cloud, chose Ubuntu as the OS for its Cloud-based Big Data services

https://thehackernews.com/2017/05/microsoft-windows-store-linux.html

Beware of Microsoft bearing gifts...as my post #2 says, what they can't control they want to destroy. Don't forget this is not free...it will only work on a Windows 10 installation (if I am reading this correctly). Only time will tell.  And...Ubuntu will be run on Azure, Microsoft's cloud. There goes your privacy and independence. I don't trust M/Soft as far as I can spit.

[EDIT]: forgot to include reference link

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 April 2018 - 03:20 PM.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Just last year, the company brought Ubuntu on Windows 10, worked with FreeBSD to develop a Virtual Machine image for its Azure cloud, chose Ubuntu as the OS for its Cloud-based Big Data services

It ain't just Microsoft ya can't trust. :nono:

Ubuntu / Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth Sell Out to Microsoft is another one that can't be trusted imo. :nono:

His decision to be involved with Microsoft has made me think about not using any new Ubuntu or Ubuntu Based Linux Distros.

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 April 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#14 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

Do you know why M/Soft allows Linux distro's on Windows 10, so M/Soft can steal ideas/new methodes from Linux to make Windows 10 better xD (I Think)

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 08 April 2018 - 07:22 AM.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

Ubuntu seems fairly safe and controllable for now. It does have the issue with that amazon "plugin" which is nearly impossible to remove, but as far as I'm aware the "plugin" is mainly just a button which will open your default browser and take you to amazon, the telemetry elements associated with it can be fairly easily disabled. Ubuntu will, I expect, remain safe and controllable so long as it's source code is openly available to those who wish to view it, remember that if Ubuntu's bosses were to turn bad you could always just choose not to run their updates and find a forked source for updates which would surely emerge. As for Ubuntu based distros (Mint and so on) they should generally have experts on their volunteer staff who check over changes to Ubuntu before those changes get implemented into the derivative distros, so they should be safe too. When it comes to the risks/reality of collusion with M$ I'd be more concerned about what LOW LEVEL chip, motherboard, BIOS/UEFI and other firmware makers may do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users