Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two O/S on same hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charles88

Charles88

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

I use mainly Windows 10 but I have some older application which only run on Windows7

Therefore I wonder if I can have the two O/S ( W-10 and W-7 ) on the same hard drive.

After booting the computer I want to have the option to run W-10 or W-7

Is this feasible and if so,how should I go about.

I am using two different hard drives,one with W-10,the other one with W-7 but I find

it troublesome to change drives all the time.

Thank your for your suggestions

Charles88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-windows-7-after/7e43130f-11a9-4167-832e-97ed168ae369?auth=1

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

There should be absolutely no software that ran on Windows 7 that does not run on Windows 10.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

To answer your question:

After booting the computer I want to have the option to run W-10 or W-7

There is an F-Key that you repeatedly tap (about 2 times per second) when booting, and it will give you an option screen; arrow down to which HDD you want to boot from, hit Enter and it boots into that drive. If you do not tap the F-Key, then it will boot into the default drive that is indicated in the BIOS. Commonly, it is F8 that is used, but it depends on the computer brand and BIOS they are using. Consult your manual that came with the computer, hopefully it will tell you. If it does not, then just find it by tapping each key as you boot to find the proper one, you won't hurt anything.

Actually, having separate HDDs is the best way to go; I currently have three installed with different OSs on each one. It is possible to create two partitions on one HDD, but that can cause complications in certain situations.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

An alternative you might want to consider is to set up a VM (virtual machine) inside your Win 10 OS then install Win 7 into the VM. For advice and information on doing this see the BC section -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/243/virtual-machines-and-vm-programs/

The advantage of this is that you don't have to re-boot to change OS, in either direction. A disadvantage is that games tend not to play well if they are run inside a VM.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 March 2018 - 04:01 PM.
Wrong link !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users