Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with file history.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Hello, I hope someone can help me with a problem I have with file history,

I found out by accident that file history was not working after reading about it and then trying to set it up, but I get a pop-up saying that (no usable drive found) yet, I have made an image of my C drive with the Windows Program and installed that image on an exterior hard drive that is recognised with no problems.

I am concerned that if a problem occurred with my computer that needed the image that I have on my exterior hard drive the computer would not recognise it making it useless.

Screenshots below.

39264508350_d4a394e92c_o.jpgCapture 7 by oxo2012, on Flickr

40364243234_9351e2496b_o.jpgCapture 6 by oxo2012, on Flickr

39264509830_e22170e261_o.jpgCapture 2 by oxo2012, on Flickr

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

In order to use File History you must have an external hard drive attached when you first attempt to run it so that you can associate a specific external drive with File History.  Since some people own multiple external hard drives it is important that File History knows which one it will be using so that it can automatically kick off when you plug that drive in.

File History is only for the backup of user data files.  It does not create system images that would allow a full restore of your system.  Microsoft has already announced that it is deprecating the old Windows 7 Backup & Restore that is also included on Windows 10 that can be used to create system images.  They are recommending that you find and use a third-party option for making system images and to restore from them should that need arise.  There are a number of very good ones that are free for home users.  I use EaseUS To Do backup because the user interface is easiest and there are members of my household for whom that is a very important consideration.  Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, Paragon Backup & Recover, and Syncback are other options.

If you want to use File History for your user data files you must have the external drive you wish to use to hold those backed up files connected when you initially set it up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Many thanks for your reply Britechguy.

My exterior hard drive is always connected but it is not recognised as my screenshot above shows, it is recognised though when I set the computer up to copy an image of C drive onto my exterior hard drive? 

(Update)  I have just been reading up regarding EaseUS, that you use, and have decided to go down that route.

Many thanks again, Britechguy.

Edited by oxojohn, 28 March 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

I cannot explain why File History would not recognize an external hard drive that the OS itself recognizes when you go to run File History for the first time.

I would try plugging in another drive to see if that's recognized.  If it is not then I'd suggest:

as my first steps at fixing the problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hello again, Britechguy, I plugged another remote hard drive in that's nearly full to capacity of photographs and also left the existing exterior hard drive plugged in as requested, it again failed to recognise the existing hard drive but the new drive that I connected was recognised.

Perhaps it was not needed, but I also ran the (System File Checker) that you recommended if the second drive did not show, and after the program finished it showed no problems.

Thanks again.   

Edited by oxojohn, 28 March 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

You're quite welcome.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users