Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicked on a link from social media (by accident) from malicious user

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Danfango

Danfango

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:01 AM

Good afternoon everyone. As per the title, I accidentally opened a link from someone who might seek to do me harm. What precautions do I need to run to get rid of any nasties they may seek to install via the link?

Current security software: AVG antivirus, Commono firewall, Superantispyware (I use it to get rid of cookies),  Spyware Blaster, Spybot S & D and Malwarebytes.

Have run SAS (just found cookies) and MWB (found nothing), currently running an AVG one.

Better safe than sorry and all that.

Thanks for reading!

AVg scan found nothing other than the performance issues it gets you to upgrade to resolve.

Also got CCLeaner, ran that and cleaned-up. 

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2018 - 08:48 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Have you been making routine backups of your data folders and files onto external, detachable, media?  That's one of your best defenses against the ravages of malware, viri, and other bad things. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Danfango

Danfango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

No, I'll be honest - I haven't really got any files I want to keep, certainly nothing that springs to mind. I've just got various joke memes and similar stored that I have posted in the past.

#4 Danfango

Danfango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:52 AM

Anyone make any suggestions please folks?  :guitar:

#5 RossTeagan

RossTeagan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:25 AM

No, I'll be honest - I haven't really got any files I want to keep, certainly nothing that springs to mind. I've just got various joke memes and similar stored that I have posted in the past.

First, what browser did you use?

Second, did your device behave any different after accessing the link?

As a first measure, clear your browser's cache and history. And open your system's processes to see if there is any process overusing your CPU or RAM

#6 Machine__Man

Machine__Man

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

*replied to wrong thread in error, sorry!*

Edited by Machine__Man, 14 April 2018 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users