Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Appearance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maliachammy

maliachammy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

Just registered to see if I can get any help from this lovely forum!

I had the old Spy Sherriff problem about a year back and used great advice on here to get rid of it for good. The one thing i've been left with since is that it managed to turn all the folders, start button, and program windows on XP go all basic.

Posted Image

So it all looks a lot like this rather than how XP should. Also, when I right click on the desktop and go to Properties it only brings up the display properties, rather than how it used to have tabs at the top where you could choose to also se;ect the background/screensaver etc.

Posted Image

I've not sorted this out over such a long time mainly because the computer is still working and it is not too much to put up with. But if anyone on here knows how I can get XP back to normal I would be most grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Are you able to get your Display Properties by going to Start / Control Panel / Appearance and Themes / Display?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

I suspect that the SpySherrif removal had to break some stuff in order to get rid of all traces of the infection.

2 things to try:

Go to Start...Run...and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes and with a space between SFC.EXE and /SCANNOW), then press Enter. Have you XP installation CD handy in case it asks for it. If it does, please visit Windows Update immediately afterwards to check your update status.

If this doesn't work, you may have to try a repair install of Windows XP. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 maliachammy

maliachammy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

tg1911 - I can get all of the functions by going into control panel, they all come up separately. as I said, it's not stopping me from doing anything it's just annoying and I kinda want XP with all of the pretty colours and whatnot.

usasma - i tried the first bit of advice and it couldn't find the file so didn't do anything. i read the other page so I might try that if i feel a bit more confident about not losing anything important.

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. this is just a minor aestetic problem but if there might be a simple solution it would be good to try it.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

The simple solution would be if you have the Windows Installation CD for this computer to run the system file checker tool.

THat would replace all corrupted or missing Windows XP system files without doing anything to your data or installed programs.

Sfc /scannow

Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

It may ask you to put the Windows XP CD in the cd drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users