Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change User Account Names

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:05 AM

Just had a new laptop running Win 10 and have 2 accounts on it. I need to change the user names but when I go to control panel/user accounts it shows the 2 accounts but the "Change Your Account Name" section is missing.

How can I either get this back to do this or how can i change the names if not available?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Are these Microsoft Account linked Win10 User Accounts or local Win10 User Accounts?

If the former it's easiest to manage via the Microsoft Account webpage.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:23 AM

Found that if you go it to "Manage Local Account" the "Change Your Account Name" is there.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:43 AM

While a great many functions that have always been a part of Control Panel remain accessible there, not all do.

Things are slowly but surely being moved to Settings as the one and only location where one can tweak them.  I haven't tried to use Control Panel for user account management at all since I started using Windows 10 as a pre-release insider (at the time).  It looks like Settings is the best place to tweak Account settings.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users