Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive compatability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

If a DVD/CD drive specifies Windows up through 8.1, does that mean it absolutely will not be compatible with Windows 10? The refurbished PC I got from Amazon exceeds my requirements, but I apparently did not realize it does not burn CDs. When I try to burn a disc from Windows Media Player, it tells me to install a burner. When I click on a song in my Music Folder, right click to send it to DVD/CD drive, the drive is not listed. It is showing under My PC and will read discs. It is an HP DVD ROM DH41N. I have tried to research it on Google but don't really understand what I am reading. Have never seen a PC come with a drive that only reads and not R or RW.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:19 PM

By available specifications, the DH41N appears not to be a writer, only read speeds are quoted - the front panel label describes it as a DVD Multi Player.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, that is what I determined. I did not even think to check that before I bought it because I thought all PCs came with a read/write. Well now I know. I have a couple of other drives that should work in it.
Does that mean the PC is only made for a read drive and not R/RW?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,642 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Does that mean the PC is only made for a read drive and not R/RW? 

No, if you get a DVD-RW drive the computer will read and write DVDs. The thing about Windows 10 is it does not play movie DVDs. They sell a crap player on the Windows store for $15 but you can get a free program called VLC Player that is heads and tails better than what Microsoft offers.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Looks like you have a dvd rom, which only reads disks. If you want to burn disks then you'll need the dvd burner. Newegg has an Asus dvd burner on sale for $12. with promo-code EMCPSRW26

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1W8-006A-00003&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL032718&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032718-_-EMC-032718-Index-_-CDDVDBurners-_-1W8-006A-00003-S0B&ignorebbr=1

#6 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hey! Thanks a lot. It is the same one I was about to order from Walmart at 19.99. But why in the heck would a company put a read-only drive in a big tower PC with all the other bells and whistles. Don't know of any logical reason. Oh, well. I'm 69 yo and still learning. Thanks again.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Many new pc's don't have a optical drive at all... everything is now going to USB drives because they are much faster than disks, Cheaper? Not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users