Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netplwiz keeps reverting change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelsyhb

kelsyhb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

I have a laptop running Windows 10. There are two user accounts on it, one an administrator account and one a user account. Both are password protected.

Right now I am logged in under the administrator account. I'm trying to set netplwiz so that when the PC starts and you click on the Windows 10 welcome screen (or whatever the screen is called that has those lovely landscapes), the account that pops up and prompts you to enter the password is the User account, NOT the Administrator account. I made sure the User account is highlighted in netplwiz, but every time I apply the changes and close the box, the next time I open netplwiz, it has re-highlighted the Administrator.

It's driving me batty and I don't know how to get it to do what I want. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

If this is like Windows 8.1 I don't know how you can change it. Windows reverts to the account you last logged into. If you login to the User account then shut down is the User account the account that is shown on the Welcome screen?

#3 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

If this is like Windows 8.1 I don't know how you can change it. Windows reverts to the account you last logged into. If you login to the User account then shut down is the User account the account that is shown on the Welcome screen?

I skipped 8 entirely so...didn't know this. I went into the User account, enabled DeepFreeze, and shut the computer down. It's now prompting me to log in to the User account first. Thank you so much for pointing this out!

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Hi, you can do this with the netplwiz util, you need to put a check in the box " Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

Next highlight the user account you want to open first, then uncheck the box "Users must enter........" click on "apply", you will receive a password input box, complete this,(if you use a password) and click OK, back to the main netplwiz window make sure the box "Users must enter.......", is still unchecked, OK out. Restart and you should go to your preferred account.

Edited by jenae, 27 March 2018 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users