Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting phone gmails

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 applewild2

applewild2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I'm having a problem with syncing emails between my laptop and my phone. I would like to be able to delete individual (or all) gmails from my Galaxy 6 without taking them from the server. I wish to be able to still access them from my Gmail account on my laptop. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

What you are seeking to do defies the very purpose of IMAP access, which Gmail uses by default (and so do most e-mail platforms these days).

The idea is to keep all platforms that access the same account(s) in sync, so when you delete on one platform it will be deleted on all others.

You can rig Gmail to use POP3 on the non-phone platform rather than IMAP, which would allow at least some of what you're looking for.  One of the reasons that POP3 has fallen out of favor is that its behavior, by default, is to delete messages from the server as soon as they complete downloading (though many change this to be longer, say, 14 days later).

It is a logistical nightmare to try to set up what you propose to do since so much depends on which device downloads what message, and when, and using what protocol.

By the way, using IMAP it is only a select set of message bodies that are kept on any device.  After an aging limit has been met the local copies of the message bodies are purged, leaving only the message headers.  If the message is accessed at a later time that message's body will be downloaded again on demand.  Message headers don't take up much space.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

Do you know a way to SAVE selected email messages, THE WHOLE MESSAGE OF EACH SELECTED, still using the IMAP way?  

Maybe so , but this would involve email clients and although easy enough to use for the most basic of email purposes, I still remain confused about anything beyond.  Never I fully understood any structuring of how emails are stored once they get opened.  Occasional simple usage experience with Thunderbird  (and a very small bit with Opera Mail and Claws).  There are a few "tutorials" but too confusing (for me).  I wish there were something like a school course lasting a semester for, "this is how you use email and your email client" and then specific assignments for exercises and homework.  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

How e-mail is stored is not all that complicated, at least for POP3 and IMAP, which are the two most commonly used protocols.

Simplified (because there can be some tweaking, but the concepts still apply:

POP3:  e-mail messages are stored on the e-mail server only until they are accessed by the e-mail client, at which time they are downloaded to the device that is accessing them via POP and they are removed from the server.   If you have multiple devices accessing the same account, all using POP3, they are destined to get out of sync because "whoever got the message first" is the only place where the message will be present and stored.  For all other devices it doesn't exist when they go to query the server after the first device has snagged them.

IMAP:  e-mail messages are *all* stored on the e-mail server permanently until the user deletes them.  And all folders that one creates on the e-mail client for sorting purposes are, in actuality, created on the server.  When e-mail is accessed via a client what generally happens is that all new e-mail message headers are downloaded (think of the subject, from, date) and the message body is only retrieved when you actually open a message to read it.  Because it is entirely possible that one might be offline when you want to read recent messages, most e-mail clients also download the message bodies for some set timeframe, say two weeks.  When a message ages past two weeks the message body is deleted, because it can be retrieved again from the server if it's needed later.

POP3 is what is called a client-side protocol  The server is pretty much nothing but a pipeline that transports the messages to your computer for permanent storage.

IMAP is what is called a server-side protocol.  The server is the "master coordinator" and all clients that access the server are essentially letting you see what's on the server, and downloading only what's necessary for you to read messages if/when you want to read them.  This allows all clients to appear as though they are in sync with each other when, in reality, they're all in sync with the server.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 applewild2

applewild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thank you britechguy, If I understand it correctly I guess it boils down to that I cannot remove emails from my phone unless I wish to also have them deleted from my laptop and vice versa and, consequently, from the server. I very much appreciate your detailed response because I'm one of those people who loses sleep if I don't know the "Why of it". Thank you again.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

You're quite welcome.

You are correct with regard to the behavior of IMAP.   One of the reasons it came into being was so that the same e-mail messages, folders, and (in some cases) contacts can be accessed by multiple devices where each is seeing exactly what the other is seeing.  You send a message on one and it goes to the sent folder that all can see.  You delete a message and it's removed from all devices (or that's the appearance, anyway, because all the devices are actually looking to the server to determine "what currently exists, and where").

POP3 has largely fallen out of favor since most people who are accessing their e-mail from many locations across multiple devices do not ever want a message or messages to be saved on one and be missing on the others or deleted on one and still present on the others.  That way lies chaos.

Edited by britechguy, 11 April 2018 - 06:55 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

Just for info, Google is about to launch a Gmail web redesign

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/11/google-is-about-to-launch-a-gmail-web-redesign/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users