Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux mint 17.3 MATE, archive manager, engrampa, which encryption is used?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

I'm trying to make an encrypted archive from a pc running linux mint 17.3 MATE. I know one can just use the archive manager (engrampa I think) to make 7z files, and that you can password protect them, but I can't work out whether good strong AES 256 is being used or the weak algorithm typically used for zip files. The "help-->contents" for engrampa warns that the encryption in use isn't the strongest, so I'm not sure if it is hinting that the old zip file algorithm is being used. In 7z on windows I know I could pick which algorithm to use when encrypting a file, in linux mint's archive making dialog I don't see options. How can I check which encryption type is being used, and if it is the weak one have the strong one used instead?

Thanks

P.S. I checked in software manager and I know that p7zip-full is installed on this system, but I also think it is command line only so trickier to use.

Moderators: feel free to move this to the encryption sub-forum if you want, but I thought as it is more about how encryption is handled within linux mint 17.3 MATE than it is about the underlying principles it might be better in the linux forum.

Edited by rp88, 27 March 2018 - 02:38 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

Has anyone got an idea about this, because it seems that every webpage I've found contradicts the others, some discuss aes by default, others discuss zip algorithms by default, and it's hard to work out which of them actually apply to the software on this PC (Engrampa 1.12.0, archive manager for MATE, possibly with some file roller stuff going on int eh background?)
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:31 AM

I don't know offhand, but what is the end use for this archive?  Do you need to share it with others, with Windows users/systems?  If not, and the goal is to simply have an encrypted backup of a bunch of files, you can probably accomplish that with other native tools.

OpenSSL has tools to encrypt and decrypt and supports a bunch of algorithms out of the box.

GnuPG is also another option.

basically, you copy all your files into a directory, tar cjvf to create a compressed tarball, then encrypt the tarball using a different tool.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users