Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 745

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DreadTech

DreadTech

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hello i have a Dell machine that doesn't boot. Initially it would turn on beep twice then nothing. I did some googlng and read that memory needed to be reseated i did that no beeps and still no boot. Any ideas? I enclosed a pic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lobstrick

lobstrick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

How many RAM units you have? it could be RAM problem itself. Did you try to change and eliminate bad one in case you have several of them?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

I would replace the CMOS battery.  It's a CR2032, so it won't cost an arm and leg.  Your system was introduced 11 years ago and...if the battery has not been changed since original issue...that's the drection I would pursue first.

Louis

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Those Dell 745's had a reputation for bad caps, so if you go to replace the cmos battery check the caps too, and while your in there...and if it has a Bestec power supply(check label), that could be very bad news too

#5 DreadTech

DreadTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Thank you for all the responses. I'm going to tackle the battery first then maybe the power supply.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Those Bestec power supply's had a reputation for taking out the motherboard with a voltage spike and then keeps running like nothing ever happened, I think the model number on that Bestec power supply was a 12e or something like that.

Bad caps will be expanded on the tops, there are supposed to be flat and sometimes they'll have some brown goo leaking out too. They look like this:

bad_acp.jpg

If your board has any caps that look like that, you'll either have to replace the caps or get a new board

Edited by Joe C, 27 March 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#7 DreadTech

DreadTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

I tried replacing the CMOS and same thing is occurring i'm just going to get another PC thanks for all of your responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users