Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Mother Board Hack

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scooty43

scooty43

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

I have an interesting question if anyone has information on it. I little over a year ago I got hacked on my Gateway tower w/windows 8.1. I was having trouble with stuff moving around and then, a number came up on line stating "you have been infected by a virus, call this number immediately". Like a dummy I did and proceeded letting this guy take over my computer to fix it. Instead, you can guess what happened. As he was messing around, I noticed some funny noises and messages coming up saying I was being hacked. That's when I realizes that this guy was the hacker unfortunately it was too late. Then, screens came up with price costs to fix the problem. Of course I let him know that I knew he was the hacker but it was already too late. I know I was a dummy so don't remind me. Anyway I wouldn't pay a dime, hung up and shut the computer down. I waited for a day and than did a complete restoration on it and everything was fine.  But, it wasn't long before the computer wouldn't boot again, about a week. I did another restoration on it and again it was fine but again it didn't last long. I took it to a technician who got it going again and said he checked the hard drive 5 times and no sign of a virus and he said it should be fine. But, again after a short time it went on the blink again. So, now we're down to my question. Could this hacker have messed something up that's not being detected by security measures? Perhaps he messed up something in the BIOS or somewhere else on the system board. I'm wondering if changing the board might be something worth trying. Any information will be appreciated.  

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 March 2018 - 05:00 PM.
Moved from Win 8/8.1 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

no, nothing is hacked.  it's probably a website you keep visiting.

when you get this screen saying to call then, look at the address bar and see if it's just pointing to a weblink.   a lot of these screens are just a website you've been redirected to and not even a real virus!

if this is the case then just close the web browser with the red X in the upper right corner.  if not then you can use the task manager and kill the internet browser process to close the browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users