Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble adding a second wireless router and connectivity.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

I currently have a modem/router combo up in the front of the house. I have a guest house about 150 feet away that I currently have internet to via a cat6 cable ran which meets into a 4 port switch, then into the house into a 16 port switch which feeds internet to the house. Both switches are un-managed.

I need to add wireless capability to the house as well and built an outdoor router enclosure, took out the 4 port switch which was succumbing to being outside and plugged everything in.  Internet in the back house was working fine. The issue was the devices in the back could not communicate to the front building with the current network. Oops, I realized that their configurations are different which is most likely why they couldn't communicate with each other.

Router 1 (which would act as DHCP) has a configuration of

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

With an IP address range in DHCP of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

Router 2 is a TP-Link Archer C5

I am not entirely sure now how to configure router 2 to give both wireless access and LAN access to the back house that will allow both areas to access shared drives/resources on the network.  My first idea was to change the IP address of the second router to an IP address that was in the same subnet and fell into the DHCP range of the first router ( a higher IP address that would not be assigned due to the amount of devices).

I wasn't even able to change that IP address due to the following error:  Error code: 5008 WAN IP address and LAN IP address cannot be in a same subnet.

So at this point I am trying to figure out how to get this going from here. I attached a visual drawing of the network in a basic Visio drawing.   https://imgur.com/a/AjOAY

I appreciate the help is filling in the gap I am just not seeing.

Edited by digitalmatter, 27 March 2018 - 09:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

We use TP-Link routers all the time. I haven't done one in a couple of months, but I believe this is correct. What you need to do on the C5 is disable DHCP and plug the cable from the main router, into the LAN port on the C5. You will also need to set a static IP in the main router for this secondary router. I would suggest 192.168.0.2 (since the main is 0.1). This will allow you have access to the C5 so you can make changes as needed.

#3 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

Would I be able to create a secondary SSID with that or does it need to be bridged and use the main SSID?

#4 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Nope, you can use completely different SSIDs.

#5 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Thats good to know information that the main router acting as DHCP can assign wireless IP addresses on a secondary router using a different SSID.  Did not know that was capable out of the box. I always thought they had to be bridged someway for that to work.

Thank you null__

#6 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

No problem. Let me know if you need any further assistance!

#7 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

So on the second router I changed the following:

LAN IP Address to 192.168.0.200  ( just put it up higher to guarantee no conflicts )

Disabled DHCP

Created a new SSID on a different channel than router 1's SSID to prevent cross-talk.

I don't really see an area to reserve the address for the 2nd router so I just assigned it the .200 to prevent it from assigning it in any situation.

Does this sound about right?

Edited by digitalmatter, 27 March 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#8 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

You can make the SSID the same as your original one so that way the devices don't have to "learn" a new wireless network. In the C5, go to Internet and in the WAN connection type, change it to Static IP. Your IP Address will be 192.168.0.200, subnet is the same, and default gateway will be 192.168.0.1, DNS will be whatever you want it to be. I would advise that in the original router, you set this 2nd as a static. If your original is a TP-Link, do the following: Advanced > Network > DHCP Server and look for an address reservation option. You'll need to know the MAC of the 2nd router. Enter that info and choose the IP you want it to have (0.200).

Let me know how this goes for you.

#9 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Did you get things working?

#10 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

I have the router configured but have not been home since that day to add it to the network to see if the two buildings can see the shared drives and test the WIFI.

I'll be able to update tomorrow afternoon.

#11 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Hey null_

It is installed and working correctly. The weird thing though is I was able to boot into the console through the IP address I assigned it 192.168.0.200.  After a few minutes the console becomes unavailable.  I can still ping the device though.  The console comes back up, then goes back down ( the web interface only)   This screen snip is how it starts, then it becomes unresponsive, and it repeats itself.  https://imgur.com/a/dpnzK

Edited by digitalmatter, 06 April 2018 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users