Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent internet drops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whiggs2

whiggs2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:51 AM

Ok.  So I am desperate for an answer at this point.  For the last 6 months, I have been experiencing intermittent internet drops on my home network.  My ISP is Comcast (I know, they suck, but they are my only option unfortunately), and I have my own modem (arris surfboard tm822r, which is on their list of supported devices) as well as my own router (Asus RT-ac1750 https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC1750/).

Normally, I have my laptop devices hardwired into the router, with only a roku and my cell phone on the wireless, but I have noticed that when one of these devices is utilizing the wireless (eg Wifi calling or streaming media on Roku) these drops occur much more frequently (I have had days where my internet reset 5 times).  The attached document is what I am pulling from the router when these drops occur.  Further, when these drops occur, the below pictures show messages that I see from my router:

MjReX5j.png

pu72iNa.png

I have tried every fix I can think of: both the router and the modem have been replaced 4 times, I have tried restoring to factory defaults, I have tried contacting ISP (who says everything is fine and have even had 9 separate technicians visit my home), tried new Ethernet cables, etc, etc, etc.  Yet this issue continues to occur.  My patience concerning this problem is all but gone, and I have had a few......heated....conversations with comcast as a result of these issues (as the messages from the router clearly indicate an issue with the upstream connection.  Also, my home environment is a bit...unique.  I work in IT, and I actually have my own domain environment on my home network.  This domain controller has both DNS and DHCP service enabled and running, and as such, I have turned DHCP off on the router so the domain controller can do it, but I have been in other environments where this has worked perfectly fine, so still don't understand what the problem is.  If there is someone out there who has had this issue before, or some insight into this problem, if you can help me resolve it, you will be my hero.  Seriously.  I will name my first born after you.  Just please help me resolve this problem.....

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

Any issues if you connect directly to the Modem? I know this is not an Ideal solution, however it would remove the possibility of a conflict between the router and the modem (would be the first time I have seen that before).

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users