Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! I accidentally deleted my main user folder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aurifex

Aurifex

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

I do hope someone can help me and I also hope it will be easy.

After a tidy up on my desktop, I decided to remove spotify as its not being used. So I located the path, then tried to find the location but it seemed to be hidden. So while in the folder of the main user trying to show hidden files and folders, I must have overlooked something. I clicked ok, then after 10 minutes all my stuff was gone.

Photos, videos, spreadsheets, everything, so Im hoping, (praying too) that the files can be recovered, please.

By the way, i tried a system restore to an earlier date and did not work so reverted back to today.

Thanks in advance

Benny

Edited by Aurifex, 26 March 2018 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

The first thing I would do is stop using the drive. Shut down the computer. Do you have another computer you can use to attempt data recovery. You would need to remove the drive and attach it the other computer via a  USB adapter. 

#3 Aurifex

Aurifex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

i dont really, is there another option?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

In any case you cannot recover files back to the computer the files were deleted from. Do you have a USB external drive? The computer boots normally to Windows?

If you can boot normally to Windows and you have a USB external drive to recover the data then the best way to approach it is to download the portable version of Recuva directly to a USB flash drive. Unzip the file to the USB flash drive. The more the hard drive is being written to the less chance of recovery. That is why I suggested moving the HDD to another computer. 

Run Recuva and scan your HDD. Copy the files recovered to your USB external drive, not your HDD.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download/portable

Even going to the website has a chance of overwriting your files on the HDD. 

#5 Aurifex

Aurifex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

okay, so i have done as suggested but cannot make much sense of the files which are now in a folder on a seperate USB hard drive.

I cant see photos, folders, videos etc. I can see some random docs but nothing important....

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like Recuva cannot recover all of your files. Have you tried a Deeper Scan? You may need to attach the drive to another computer and scan the drive with software such as Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery. Both will let you recover some files for free but the rest would require paying for registration.

The more time spent on this HDD the less chance you have of recovering your files.

#7 Aurifex

Aurifex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

ok, i get ya, didnt want to pay $80AU. they give 1 gig free. looks like i have over 4 gigs. Im trying repicvid now. hope I get some more back. Thanks for your help anyways. I will let you know how things go. Cheers

#8 Aurifex

Aurifex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:31 AM

So in the attempt to delete spotify from the users accaount, I accidently hid the folder and all associated files, then it dawned on me to search how to unhide folders, and here we are, all good now, nothing was deleted, just hiding. Thanks for all your help. Regards Benny

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

So in the attempt to delete spotify from the users accaount, I accidently hid the folder and all associated files, then it dawned on me to search how to unhide folders, and here we are, all good now, nothing was deleted, just hiding. Thanks for all your help. Regards Benny

Nice: That's the best kind of recovery. In the future you may want to consider doing complete disk image backups to a USB external hard drive using any of the following free programs.

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Macrium Free

Easeus and Aomei also do file/folder backups with Easeus being the most intuitive. If your hard drive every failed it would only be a matter of booting the rescue disk or USB each program creates and recovering your backup image from the USB external drive. You would be back up in minutes vs hours for a clean install, updates, and reinstalling your programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users