Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time to replace HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

I'll start off with the computer's specs:

Make: Compaq/HP

Model: Presario (CQ5207SC)

MB: H-I41-uATX

CPU: Intel Celeron E3200 (Dual-Core 2.4GHz)

RAM: (2x) Hynix 2GB DDR3-1333MHz (HMT125U6BFR8C-H9)

Graphics: Pegatron NVIDIA Geforce G210 512MB

PSU: 300W Liteon ATX (PS-5301-08HF)

HDD: Western Digital - Caviar Green 1TB (WD10EADS)

Alright, so I've got this old Compaq Presario, which started running really slow like a year ago. I'd updated it to Windows 10 about 3 months prior, it originally came with Windows 7. I thought that a factory reset might help, but the reinstall of Windows failed, and now the computer didn't have any OS anymore. I decided just to put it away, as I really didn't need it, but now I've decided to take a look at it, as I've just sold my secondary computer and need a new one.

So I attempt an Ubuntu installation, as I can't get my product key for W7 to work, and it takes like 3 hours (pretty long time for Ubuntu). When it's finally done, the computer is really slow; from me clicking the windows-key (super), to the Ubuntu overview to appear, took like 5 seconds. After a reboot, I managed to reach the desktop again, but that was the last time. After those two boots, I would get into "emergency mode", suggesting I run a command to check system logs, but I couldn't as the "Journal Service" couldn't start [refer to image #1].

I was quite certain that it probably was a problem with the HDD, but I ran a Memtest anyway (Memtest86+ v5.01) just because - 1 pass took ~30min [refer to image #2]

So after that I thought it might be a good idea to run a test on the hard drive, so I downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard for DOS-program and made a bootable flash-drive. There I ran some tests, I started by writing zeroes to the whole drive which took a few hours, then proceeded to testing. In the attached images #3,4&5 you can see that the test got stuck. On the quick test it got stuck right at the end (despite several retries), which led to error code 0210. This error code calls for - according to the Western Digital manual - a replacement of the HDD.

The 5th image is the extended test stuck, you can see that the elapsed time is 14 hours, and the bar had been stuck for more than 4 hours. The average time for an extended test is 1 hour per terabyte.

So I wanted to know if there's anything I can do at all with the broken drive. Also, do you have any recommendations for a new drive? Is it worth replacing with a SSD, or is the computer not good enough? I don't need a lot of space, I just need to do a bit of work, and use it as a secondary computer to watch videos on - it should be good enough for that right? Ubuntu isn't too demanding?

Any answers appreciated.

Cheers!

-Anton 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

looks like your HD is faulty.....

last thing i would do is remove the HD from the computer.....hook it up to another working computer and test the drive using WD software.....

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Edited by mikey11, 26 March 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

Yes replace the hard drive, no matter what OS you will throw at it it will have issues.

As for what OS to run on that machine after you get the HDD replaced for that celeron you may want to run Ubuntu MATE instead or Xubuntu as your celeron is under powered and you have only 2GB of ram.

I also suggest a RAM upgrade, according to my info your max will be 4GB this will help.

You may also wish to invest in a CPU upgrade too, I suggest the core2duo E8 series as your motherboard lists that as compatible.

Luckily those are cheap and the core2duo is still a good chip, its no modern Ryzen or i7 but its got life in it under linux.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 March 2018 - 06:13 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

you may want to run Ubuntu MATE instead or Xubuntu

Is that some kind of lite version?

you have only 2GB of ram.
I also suggest a RAM upgrade, according to my info your max will be 4GB this will help.

Indeed the maximum is 4GB of DDR3-1333, and I already have that.

You may also wish to invest in a CPU upgrade too, I suggest the core2duo E8 series as your motherboard lists that as compatible.

I guess Ill be buying an E8600 as well then.
Thanks for the help man, really appreciate it.

Edited by AntonRahbek, 27 March 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

you may want to run Ubuntu MATE instead or Xubuntu

Is that some kind of lite version? 

Yes both Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu are more lightweight.

I would have suggested them anyhow even if you decided to take my core2duo as a upgrade suggestion.

The hardware is wearing a bit thin for more modern desktop environments like Ubuntu's unity (if you are using Ubuntu 12.04-17.04) and gnome shell (Ubuntu post 17.04)

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 March 2018 - 06:26 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users