Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whether deep freeze will erase the traces of flash drives connected?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 telcom5

telcom5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

If a computer has deep freeze installed on it and if I connect a flash drive (pen drive) to that computer and did some work and remove the flash drive from that computer then, after restarting the computer, whether the information regarding the flash drive connected to that computer (prior to the restart) will be available in the computer or not?

In other words, once the computer (on which a deep freeze is installed) is restarted, whether deep freeze will remove the traces of any connections of flash drives that were connected to the computer prior to the restart?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Using flash drives at the library?  As you already know, at the end of the day, with no flash drives attached, deep freeze will simply return the internal HDD to its pristine condition that existed before opening time.  I'm not sure if deep freeze reports or logs any flash-drive activity to the powers that be. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 telcom5

telcom5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Thanks. If we connect any flash drive to a computer (in library) then the flash drive ID and probably its model/make will be retained by the computer.

I learned that the deep freeze on the computer system I am talking about will delete all the web pages that have been visited once the computer is restarted. However, I am not sure if the flash drive information will also be deleted once the computer restarts.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Excellent set of questions!  I guess it's going to depend upon just how the librarians set up deep freeze for their public access computers / laptops.  Before I even heard of deep freeze, When I was using public libraries' desktops, I would delete my browser history, and other stuff just before closing Chrome or IE.  Then, I would delete what I could from my user name account (if accessible) just before logging out of said computer.  I would often Restart or simply Log Off -- at the very end of my hour before giving up my chair.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 March 2018 - 03:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 telcom5

telcom5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thank you and appreciate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users