Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about clearing virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Evolution13

Evolution13

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

One of the tricks I've used for a long time to speed windows machines up is to boot off a utility disk and delete pagefile.sys swapfile.sys and hiberfil.sys These files are *always* locked by windows and never get defragged and can quickly become the most heavily fragmented and corrupt files on the system.

I've done it this way because in my experience setting windows to clear the paging file at shutdown made it take much longer to shut down or reboot.. but this was back in the era of windows 7. Is this still the case in windows 10? and if so is there a utility that will clear the paging file *once* at the next reboot? I do more work remotely now and booting off something else doesn't work very well remotely!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

I miss the old days of Windows 3.1 - Windows For Workgroups 3.11 and Norton disk defragger!  Back then, if memory serves me, such would even defrag the swapfile and pagefile.  One way to maybe reach a balance is to "hard-set" page and swap files to a certain minimum/maximum sizes.  I think one source for Windows 7 indicated the virtual memory can be approximately one half of the RAM on the motherboard; however, I'm not sure that would apply to Windows 10.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

​

Evolution13

Virtual Memory Pagefile can be cleared performing the following...

Open Local Security Policy, to do this press Windows Key + R together and type secpol.msc

In the left pane, Expand Local Policies then Expand Security Options

In the Right pane, Scroll to find Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile

Double click Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile

On the Local Security Setting tab select Enabled, click Apply and Ok

Close the Local Security Policy window.

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users