Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Hidden" BSOD after cold boot, Clevo notebook, possible driver-related issue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nyanzyme

nyanzyme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Good day!

Recently, my computer ran into some problems, mostly concerning the GPU or its driver. I have an Aftershock S-15 (Clevo P650RS on the sticker) notebook with i7-6700HQ, GTX1070 for gaming. Additional specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hXfS6DTu1eIpWltUjzA8KAZ

I had several blue screens before so I continually monitor the Event Viewer for new things.

Now, when starting my computer from cold boot (such as, about 6 hours turned off), first the BIOS/manufacturer logo screen shows, then the screen turns off. After a noticeable amount of time (~10 seconds), the BIOS screen turns on again and proceeds into Windows.

On checking the Event Viewer, a kernel-power event is logged, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, probably caused by nvlddmkm.sys (WhoCrashed). Note that in the boot-up, I do not see a blue screen.

Sometimes, the notebook will boot completely fine, but in this case the Device Manager shows that the Nvidia GPU is disabled ("Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"). When I play games in this state, the notebook only uses the integrated GPU. Restarting the PC at this point always causes the GPU to become normal again.

When I update the driver, the computer BSODs during gaming (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE). This happens regularly and predictably. Rolling back the driver causes the blue screens to stop.

Using the old driver, I can play demanding games reliably without errors or crashes. (I used DDU to uninstall the driver). I am also able to use the pc like before. However, I am concerned that the system will deteriorate further unless something is done. Recently, the "hidden" blue screens happen more frequently, and sometimes the BIOS restarts triggers the drive error-check before going to Windows.

Now, if I restart the notebook, or if shut it down and boot it up again within a short time, the "hidden BSOD" does not happen, and no kernel-power events are logged.

I am currently backing up my files for a full system reformat+reinstall OS.

I would really appreciate your help on this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

Please follow these BSOD forum posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 nyanzyme

nyanzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Sorry, thought the file was attached last time. I think I overlooked the "attach this file" button.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

How old is the machine?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 nyanzyme

nyanzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

About 1 year and 6 months. It is still under warranty, so the manufacturer has offered to repair/replace the parts for free if I cannot solve the problem (if hardware problem).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users