Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teach Me About Video!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone post me a link to a good tutorial about how video works?

Sound a bit vague? Well, OK, what I want to do is convert three .mov files recorded on a Kodak digital camera to .avi or .mpg and possibly edit them, but I don't know which software to use, or what config/constraints I'd have to take into account so they can be downloaded or viewed on my webpage.

Any pointers would be welcome
Cheers
Hagbag69

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hagbag69

hagbag69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

Forgot to mention that I'm running XP on an old 1.5GHz AMD Athelon machine with 64 MB RAM and a graphics card which came out of the ark (also 64MB, I think) - although I could use the PC at work, which is a 3GHz Pentium VI, with a 512 MB graphics card running W2K

Ta!
Hagbag69

Edited by hagbag69, 05 October 2006 - 02:08 AM.

#3 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

^ pls see this topic for a list of freewares to convert
& edit your video :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Assuming that you are the owner of the recorded video
(is it obvious !) , you can post them on your website by
uploading the files to your site .
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#4 hagbag69

hagbag69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:08 AM

Cool, thanks for the links mvs.... not sure which program will do what I need tho!

Anyone know of any tutorials which will help me understand the subject of video?

Hagbag69

#5 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:01 AM

^ here is another Link . hoping that it helps =>
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/mov-to-mpg-free.html

video is a broad subject . what exactly you need ?
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#6 hagbag69

hagbag69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:46 AM

I would like to know what the standard video format and settings are for video used on the internet...

I've got three 30MB .mov files captured on my Kodak DX6490 still digital camera which I want to post on my website for the world to watch or download. The files are between 2 and 3 minutes long, and are recordings of my band playing a concert (no copyright issues here!)

I'm Systems Administrator at work and can handle most things that are thrown at me from User questions to programming Perl and using MySQL/Postgres etc, but the one subject which I can't get my head round is video!!

I've found quite a few tutorials about converting from this to that using various programs, but nothing to make the penny drop.

I've spent this morning experimenting with TMPG Enc 3.0 Xpress. I've converted the 55kb sample.mov which comes with Quicktime to various formats...

The worst conversion:
.mov to avi (default settings) produced a 20MB avi - from 55kb to 20MB isn't what I want..!

The best conversion:
.mov to avi (xviD mpeg4) produced a 228kb avi - which is better, but as it's four times bigger, will my .mov files go from 30 MB .movs to 120MB avi's?

My experience of music videos tells me that a three minute video clip can be anywhere between 30 and 60MB and still retain a decent quality, so my best conversion is still creating a files double the size it could be.

I've also tried converting from .mov to DVD, XDVD, VCD, SVCD (all PAL) and MPG, but the filesize is still massive.

Any comments welcome!
Cheers
Hagbag69

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

When you save your video (depending on what program you use), try looking for an option along the lines of "output quality" or "destination format/quality". Basically, you want to drop the quality down to a point where it still looks good, but not so big that it'll take a month of Sunday's to download (or stream). A lower quality setting will allow for smaller file sizes, but to low a setting will make for a junky looking video. For web use, I'd avoid "DVD" settings of any kind. Stick with .mpg (.mpeg) settings, and 1 pass settings if available. Obviously no need for hi-def on the web :thumbsup:

I've also tried converting from .mov to DVD, XDVD, VCD, SVCD (all PAL) and MPG, but the filesize is still massive.

When you let the programs convert to these settings, some programs will take all the room on the output media (if it can), meaning that it'll use up as much as a DVD or VCD that it can (like an "auto format" feature so to speak). Again, .mpg is the lowest quality option, so use that. Try to save it as a clip instead of saving it for output in a DVD, as this will create a readable menu that will take up a little more room.

Keep in mind that video editing programs are made to edit video that will later be watched on TV. You're editing for the web, which most people view on a monitor which only displays (average user settings) 72 DPI. A TV displays in LPI. LPI takes uses more size on a disc than DPI, which is why videos take up so much storage.

Hope this helps! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 hagbag69

hagbag69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

I've given up trying to convert the movies. The .mov files have uploaded to the FTP site OK and are now viewable from my webpage.

Thanks for your help, but if there's anyone out there with a link to a tutorial about video, I'm still interested!!

Hagbag69

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users