Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allowed scammer to remote access

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jvmpdx

jvmpdx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

In a moment of weakness I allowed a scammer to remote onto my computer. I was having trouble with printer and thought I was on Epson site getting assistance from them (I know it was still a bonehead move). Spent 30 to 40 minutes "attempting" to resolve issue then showed me the list of errors and unautborized folks gaining access. Said it could be fixed but would take 30 minutes to 1 hour. I asked why Epson would provide this and he said be was with something like "Global Tech Security". I hung up and shut down my lap top. He has not mentioned a charge but I am sure he was getting there. I do not store passwords. My primary concern is that my Turbo tax files are on the computer. I bave heard these scams are generally not looking for identity theft opportunities. I will try and run malware apps etc. but how.worried should i be about my social security number being compromised? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:26 AM

Welcome to BC...

If you didn't see the criminal access those files and download those files then it is likely the criminal did not obtain the SS number.

If you gave the criminal a CC number or other means to charge you then that would be another problem...

The criminal would of sent themselves an email from your email account to themselves confirming you agreed to pay.

If you are still having problems with the printer you can start a new topic in the External Hardware Forum.

This is the official Epson® Official Support | Epson US

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jvmpdx

jvmpdx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Thank you, Buddy215. I appreciate your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users