Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

willing to try Firefox but which one? Windows 10 64-bit computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Which one of Firefox to download and install?  I'm willing to try Firefox but not certain which would be best.

My system on which I may try Firefox:

Laptop, Windows 10 ,  64-bit

x64 Processor

Intel Pentium CPU N3700  1.6 GHz  1.84 GHz  (Yes it shows both of those values on the same line);

RAM:   4.00 GB

Which kind of Firefox should I choose?  32-bit or 64-bit?  Would this matter?  Any reason to do one or the other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

32 bit Firefox is obsolete, and if a 32 bit version was installed on a 64 bit system, it would be automatically upgraded to the current 64 bit Ver 59, so that is what you should install.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

Hi, Platypus & cafejose!

Agreed. It is reasonable to install a 64-bit Firefox on a 64-bit OS, namely because it is more secure and provides better performance. :thumbup2:

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefox-64-default-64-bit-windows/

And, from version 57 it is now officially called Firefox Quantum, which is the mostly used edition, however, there is also the privacy-enhanced edition called Firefox Focus.

Please note: Starting with version 57, Firefox now only supports add-ons being built with the new WebExtensions add-on technolology.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-add-technology-modernizing?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 March 2018 - 02:47 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

When it comes to browsers, and that's any of 'em, the best practice is to install the same bit-width that your processor has (which, unless your system is very old, will be 64-bit) and to use the latest version.

Web browsers are some of the most hacked software (or at least "attempt to hack") for obvious reasons.  There are constant security improvements as vulnerabilities are discovered.  Also, after a point, obsolete versions will stop receiving even security patches.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Thanks.  Downloaded the off-line installer, and installed yesterday.  Slow functioning, compared to Google Chrome, but acceptable.  

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:01 AM

Hi again, cafejose!

Just to add: As for web browser security add-ons, I can recommend uBlock Origin, Ghostery and HTTPS Everywhere.

And you are welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 March 2018 - 06:54 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

midimusicman,

Although I like all of the add-ons you mention, if one uses uBlock Origin there's really no need for Ghostery, as uBlock includes the same functionality.  I used Ghostery along with AdBlock Plus for many years (and find nothing wrong with that combo, but go for "fewer is better" in general) but dropped Ghostery after realizing that uBlock Origin already includes the same functionality (or at least substantially the same).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hi, britechguy!

Well, I already know that you use Privacy Badger instead of Ghostery, and although uBlock Origin does feature privacy-enhancing functions, I personally turn all of them off in favor of Ghostery so as not to create any overlapping. Furthermore, I like the detailed control that Ghostery provides over what it blocks (I block everything). However, I only made some recommendations which the OP could check out if being interested, that is all. And ultimately, we all have various opinions on software/add-ons for security and privacy. :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 March 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

midimusicman,

Just for the record, I do not and have never used Privacy Badger (and that is not a comment one way or another regarding anything about its functionality).

I do think it's important to note when specific recommendations have overlapping functionality and where one or the other should have the functionality that overlaps disabled if both are to be used.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

I would like to apologize for that wrong assertion.

Please continue to do what you do on the BC forums.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 March 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

One of the types of addons I hope for is something like Web Of Trust but that not so many people find to be "too much data leaking to data collectors".  Something so that I can do web search with ANY search engine and see web safety ratings icons listed with each item.   

(In any case, nice to now have TWO alternative browsers on that machine instead of just ONE.)

(On the new install of Firefox), I am including so far  some Panda extension (forgot the exact name) for web safety rateings in searches, and i-forgot-the-name of the adblocking extension.  I am not on that machine right now, but any other comments about adblockers, I will read what you say.  I had tried Ghostery a few years ago briefly, but too much information it presents - too much to deal with.  I then went with  (usually) Adblock Plus, or occassionally uBlock/Origin.    Adblock Plus JUST stops the advertisements  (almost all of them).  Very few at times get through.

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi again, cafejose!

The Panda extension for web search safety ratings you are referring to is called Panda Safe Web.

However, I am not sure about exactly which adblocking extension you are referring to, but anyway;

uBlock Origin blocks both scripts and ads, whereas Adblock Plus only blocks ads, which makes the former better than the latter.

uBlock Origin is NOT an "ad blocker": it is a wide-spectrum blocker -- which happens to be able to function as a mere "ad blocker". The default behavior of uBlock Origin when newly installed is to block ads, trackers and malware sites.

By default, in Adblock Plus, nonintrusive ads are not blocked in order to support websites (more info here), but there is a setting to uncheck this feature called Acceptable Ads in order to block all ads (more info here).

Web browsers are some of the most hacked software (or at least "attempt to hack") for obvious reasons. There are constant security improvements as vulnerabilities are discovered. Also, after a point, obsolete versions will stop receiving even security patches.

HTTPS Everywhere is an extension that encrypts your communications, making your browsing more secure against hackers (more info here).

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users