Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Editor w/split "output" personality

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DPaulku

DPaulku

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

This is just silly... I just get a complete system rebuilt after a HDD crash, install fresh Win7/pro sp1 on a largish SSD, reloaded all the recovered data files/music, and have DropBox talking to the cloud again. I'm back to nearly 99% of where my installed software should be I think so things are nearly normal.  I have managed to catch up on two week's worth of audio recording editing, mastering and archiving, using Adobe Audition 3.0... when now, what should I have to deal with today?

No Bleeping sound from Audition's "Multi track" editing mode via cans, BUT... it will play to my near field monitors.  

But wait, there's more.

I switch to the Audition "Edit window" mode (single file manipulation), and things are fine... in the cans but nothing is sending to the speakers.

Pre HDD meltdown my system would work fine in the audio realm. I power my active monitor speakers from a power strip and turn them on when I want to move some air. Normally the neighbors appreciate it if I do all my work via head phones, but I don't/didn't do anything special to activate or switch to them.

What's different? I know I used to have a "sound card" application in the quick launch tray, lower right in the task bar. This is likely not the culprit because just yesterday I could mix/listen in either Edit or Multi Track mode, although I haven't tested the speaker chain till today. I can load files into other media players on the PC and hear just fine in the cans, but not in the speakers.

All I can say is that at this point, as close to "it" as I am in age, I'm not betting my life on perhaps having "done something" inadvertently in the last 24hrs that has flummoxed my sound output. I have been attempting to reestablish Audition's prior tool presets and what not. That's led me down some paths of frustration...

It's really quite important to be able to edit and process in Multi Track mode in Audition. It would be great to understand how to send to both outputs as I did before but more important to know why one edit mode is "live" and the other not.  Was my 6year old version of Win7/pro that much more forgiving than the current one? (I've been up to date with updates.)

I've attempted to search the larger web and Audition's forums but can't quite seem to get the right spin on my search words. That and almost no one out there is talking about anything as old as the now unsupported v3.0.

I'm open to any ideas. You guys are the best. I don't expect any Audition experts to jump on this but perhaps someone deep into the windoze audio game can see something.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

What audio hardware is it you're using for sound?

Without knowing anything about the system, it's much harder to offer ideas.

If you're not sure of your system specifications, you can publish a Speccy report as per the instructions here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, after posting I thought I should have run out a sheet, but didn't know if it would have been TMI starting out.

I'm using native windows audio drivers, but as I say...  there used to be something different and, for the past 4-5 days, things were running good. At least within the confines of the audio application. The speaker deal is new and less of an issue.

So, here's the link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZBGvvDL0DfnOV4umt553w2F

Since posting, I've been surfing YouTube and vids w/audio play through the headphone jack but still nothing through the monitor speakers.

Thanks for taking the time for me... again!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,658 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

You appear to be using the on-board sound? Overall you should get better results from using a decent external sound module.

I used to have a "sound card" application in the quick launch tray, lower right in the task bar. This is likely not the culprit

It could be, in the sense that you may no longer have the degree of control that you had in the past.

I'm using native windows audio drivers

That's likely to be an issue, as Windows native drivers are usually basic in functionality, in comparison to the driver set supplied by the mainboard manufacturer, which can include control functions such as the app you mentioned.

Also, if you haven't installed the drivers for the video card, with nVidia Control Panel, you may not have appropriate control over the HDMI audio, and that's one possible place an output could unsuspectingly get mis-assigned to.

Another thing I must say, to forestall having a similar problem in the future, I very much advise that when the system is fully set up again and working just how you need it, make a system image so that if disaster strikes, the system can be restored fully functional again in a short period of time.

#5 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:55 AM

Thanks, as always, for the insight. I understand all of your points and agree.

However, and perhaps it's tied to the editing software, the fact that it was working a day or so ago and now is not... that's really my problem. I'll continue to twiddle the knobs on the app and see what turns up. I'll try to formulate a better search string for the Adobe folks as well. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Best.

#6 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:21 AM

Well, for now, the problem w/the editor was somehow corrected when I finally located and installed the delivered audio system drivers and its RealTek HD Audio Manager. Active monitors are still acting a bit like Eve... but with only 2 faces. ;o)

Fingers crossed going forward.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,658 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:57 AM

Glad to hear you've got a result. When drivers are installed that don't deliver access to all functions, you can get a situation where something auto-detects and decides to be default, but you can't get at it to reverse the setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users