Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam getting through Hotmail's "Exclusive" filter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrne72

mrne72

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

Hey everyone, 

I just got hit with a new spamming campaign that has managed to bypass Hotmail's Exclusive filter for allowing emails to get to my inbox. I have it set to that, and everything else goes to the Junk folder where I vet it for authentic senders and anything I have entered my email for recently. If I don't recognize it, hover over the sender and see a BS sender address, it gets reported and deleted. But all of a sudden, within the last day or two, this band of emails has been going directly to my inbox, with sender addresses showing something like:

---------------------------Sexy Girl------------------------"my email address". I moved them to junk, then reported them, and I think I screwed up, because I blocked some, which doesn't put them in my deleted folder like those you report as phishing or junk. So those are gone as far as I know, and I can't refer back to them for information on sender, just have to wait for the next bombardment of my inbox. As with most of these damn things, I can't find a reliable sender's address in the "View message source" pane as it looks like many were spoofed, or whatever, they change them from email to email. If someone has a good working knowledge of hotmail and can give a few ideas on how they could be getting through the setting, so I can make some changes, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've changed my password to this address, because I thought maybe it had been compromised, and thought that maybe they somehow were using my own account to be able to get on the exclusive list, but I think that might be kind of reaching. But again, I don't know how hotmail decides who is authorized and who isn't in their programming. Spammers have all this programming crap down, and always get through sooner or later. 

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StarTrekker

StarTrekker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

While googling about this problem, I saw where you seemed to have the same problem I had. I had this happen to me also a few days also, could not find any help online. Just like you, they seemed to be spoofing my personal email address in part of their senders email address. I noticed I have my address in my trusted list and I removed it and poof, end of my problem. Not often I send myself an email.  :) So I joined this site just so I could reply to your problem hoping this is the same fix to your problem,

Good Luck!

Let me know if it work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users