Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Error

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

I believe that I deleted part of the system restore by accident. Using PC 32 bit in Windows 7 Professional. Restore file does not work. Received a message and it said something like, could not restore and this information came from %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.  I pulled up C: and found rstrui.exe but when I click on it, it just pulls up the system restore.

Please, if you answer make it simple. Am not computer savvy. I certainly appreciate your time and effort! Please advise as I'm running around with my hair on fire...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Can you give us the make and model of this computer please ?

What state is the computer in - is it running, does it fail to boot, or what, and what problem led you to do a system restore ?

If it runs well enough to get to the control panel you could go back into 'Recovery' and see if you have any other restore points. If you do try picking the latest one and start the restore process. This time, once the process starts, leave the computer strictly alone until it has finished.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Chris, thank you so much for responding. Computer is Hewlett Packard (refurbished). Model:  HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC.  2.00 GB RAM.  32 bit. Yes, my computer is running and does boot up.

First, I called Geek Squad around the first of February.Paid for their $99.99 pkg. & $9.99 per month for a year.  The techs are in a foreign country. Hard to understand. This was a BIG mistake. They reinstalled Google Chrome on 2/27/18 and did other things. Said a full report would be sent by email. Email received but would not open. This was the third time calling Tech support.  Just so you know, previously, I deleted GC. Thought it would help but only caused more issues.

Still having problems. Computer slow. Would delete ALL cookies several times a day including the "settings."  Would do several restore points. Restart the computer. Checked all plugs. Update Windows but not all (for remote access). Weekly, I run disk cleanup and defrag once a month.

One day, I started messing around and think I deleted part of the "System Restore" program.  On 3/13/18 in Administrative Events I found 5,046 events which was full of errors and warnings. It listed:  kernel-event-tracking; e1kexpress; kernel-pnp; server; service control manager; distributedCOM; winlogon; WMI; user profile service; microsoft antimalware; Dhcp-client; DNS client events; eventlog.  And, Event Data:  (Intel ® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection. Then the number:

0000040002003000000000001B0004A(49 more zeros) then 1B0004A0.  Before all this started, I got a message that the Display Driver stopped twice so I started playing around with the computer..,...

Do not know if the above information helps but I sure screwed up somewhere and I have to take responsibility!

Other issues:  1.)  All programs tell me, "incompatible applications" and msseces as well. This has been going on long before I called Geek Squad.  2.)  The  Windows compatibility mode shows Windows XP (Service Pack 2) even though I have Windows 7 Professional. I do not have a clue as to what this means.  3.)  I have MIcrosoft Security Essentials protection: I update it several times when online. Sometime it won't update. Will restart computer. Have deleted this program and reinstalled it. 

1.)  Microsoft Windows Publisher info:  Make older programs run in this version of windows. Package Version 1.5

2.) Quick TIme Player: Message said it requires Windows 2000 or later. Make sure compatibility mode is disabled in the Compatibility tab of the properties. I tried this and cancelled it at the same time. Blinking icon appeared at bottom of screen.

3.)  LibrelOffice: Imcompatible and the (swriter) as well

4.)  Nikon Transfer:  incompatible application

5.)  Panorama Maker 5:  incompatible application

6.)  View NX: incompatible

7.)  Acrobat Reader DC:  incompatible

8.)  Google Chrome:  incompatible

9.)   The system maintenance program continually finds "troubleshooting history is taking up disk space

10.)  Ran "Performance" information said, SuperFetch is not running but is now fixed. Publisher details said to adjust setting to improve overall speed and performance...I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS.

11.)  Cookies: I changed it to accept 1st cookies and block the 3rd.

12.) Email is so slow. Stalls. Worse than dial-up! Use Time Warner/Spectrum's email.

How is this for information!  Personally, I think it's such a mess. Think I fell down the rabbit hole.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

I would say the first thing for you to do is to back up all your data to external storage. I have no idea how much you have but I am talking about stuff like photos, work, music - everything you have created or collected other than software applications. If you only have a few gigabytes then a moderate sized USB memory stick may well be sufficient, otherwise an external hard drive. As a guide, memory sticks upto 64 GB are reasonably price competitive, more than that you are better with an external hard drive and they go up to 4 Terabyte in size but probably a 500 to 1000 GB sized one would be sufficient and not hurt your back pocket too much.

Once you have done that - and your data is safe - then go to the downloads section here and download two small utilities, Ccleaner and Speccy

Ccleaner -  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Speccy -  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Download both of these and first run Ccleaner. This will remove temporary files and other junk. You should be quite safe using the default settings of the cleaner part and do not bother with the rest of its tools. Especially, do NOT run the registry cleaner part of it.

Then run Speccy. What this does is it gives a very detailed view of the state of your computer without giving any personal information away. Run Speccy and when it has finished analysing your hardware it produces a report. this report is in the form of a URL. Please post this URL in your next post. Here is how you gt the URL -

speccy-log-image-1.jpg

speccy-log-image-2.jpg

That's probably enough for now !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

Chris, I ran both programs.  I sure appreciate you, your time and effort!  A BIG THANK YOU FROM N.C.!  A box on this page appeared with the following message:

Because your browser security setting, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again. Please paste inside the following  box using the keyboard (CtrL/Cmd+V) and then click "okay."  I do not have a clue what "Cmd" is unless it is the abbreviation for "Command."  If it is, where is it?  Having said all that, would changing the security setting temporarily to post the information here.  Which security setting?  Where to find and how to do it. I hope your are not laughing at me right now but I sure am. Hey, what and where is clipboard data? Never used. Think I'm confused...You Bet!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

OK, probably not a problem !

When you get to the screen that looks like my second image, select the URL - either by dragging through it or by double clickiing on it  - then press and hold the 'Ctrl' button on your keyboard and, while holding it, press the 'C' key. This copies it (it will in fact copy anything that you select).

You can then paste directly into a post in BC if you have BC open at the same time or, if you haven't, paste into Notepad or Word or anything that handles text, by opening that application, clicking in it to put the insertion point in the application and then holding the 'Ctrl' key down and, while holding it, press the 'V' key (again, this will paste anything that you have selected). Or go and open BC, start a new reply and then try 'Ctrl' + 'V'.

An alternative to Ctrl C and V is, once you have selected the URL, is to put the mouse cursor into the area you have selected and RIGHT click and select 'Copy' from the pop-up menu. Then to paste, click where you want the copied text to go then, again, RIGHT click and select 'Paste' from the pop-up menu.

And you can safely ignore 'Cmd', that's Apple's equivalent to 'Ctrl'. You won't find 'Cmd' on a Windows keyboard and you won't find 'Ctrl' on an Apple one. Please don't ask me why !  And Windows purists may howl me down here but you won't actually find a space in your computer called 'Clipboard'. It's a small part of the total memory space that is used for storing data between copying it and pasting it. but once you have copied some text, or virtually anything, it stays there until you paste it somewhere or copy somethng else or shut the computer down.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

Chris, before I do any of your (above) instructions, allow me to tell you about what I did and found after attempting to follow your initial instructions. 1.)  The ccleaner program appears in "start-up."  

2.) Microsoft Security Essentials would not update. Error code: 0x80244022. Restarted PC. In Properties, the compatibility box is checked  with Windows XP, service pack 2., and I do not understand this. Publisher Details:  Make older programs run in this version of Windows, version 1.5 or use 1.0.  At 7:00 p.m., this evening it would not update again. This time and for the very first time a LOUD noise came from the computer. Restarted computer. Program updated.  As before, all my programs are incompatible.

3.)  The Speccy program I downloaded, (do not think I did this properly) has several files:  spsetup 128.zip - I clicked on this and message said to delete all others which are (lang file folder, HP-PC.txt, portable.dat, speccy.exe and speccy.ini.  CONFUSED!  Am I supposed to have a ZIP FILE (whatever that is) and is it necessary?  Not sure what I have. Which one do I run? There was some type of report done and it was a long one. Figure it is in here somewhere.

FYI - my IQ is 120 so I'm not a complete idiot but find it difficult to follow written instructions especially from Windows. Many times, I follow the instructions exactly. Then, about three-fourths through, Windows will ask to click or do something that is not in my PC program.

4.)  I am not sure if I ran these programs correctly. I copied 30-40 personal pictures, a few from Pinterest and documents I typed - never download music or anything else unless it is a program such as virus protection.  However, none of these was deleted when I ran ccleaner and speccy 

Edited by carolinagirl9235, 28 March 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Many times, I follow the instructions exactly. Then, about three-fourths through, Windows will ask to click or do something that is not in my PC program.

You are not alone !

Speccy and Ccleaner are completely separate products which do entirely separate things.

Ccleaner removes temporary files from your system and other junk that accumulates over time. It will not remove photos, documents, music, videos etc. In general it removes the junk that slows down a computer especially if this has not been done for a long time. I usually run it about once a month or so, sometimes much more so.

Speccy provides a snapshot of your system -  mainly of the hardware, what processes are running on it or not,  and what OS updates have been installed. It does not include any personally identifiable information. The current version available from BC is v128 which downloads as a .ZIP file. A ZIP file is a compressed package file which needs to be extracted or unpacked before you can get at and use its contents.

Once you have downloaded and saved the ZIP file open Windows Explorer and find the file 'speccy128.zip'. Then RIGHT click on the name of the file and you will get a pop-up menu listing options. If you have an application like Winzip, Winrar or 7-zip on your system you should see one of these listed as a choice and hovering over it with the mouse should give you a list of options. Choose the one that says 'extract to "spsetup128" '. This will create a folder called 'spsetup128' where you will find all the files. If you don't have any of the above applications then choose the option 'Open with . . . - Windows Explorer'. This will say it needs to unpack the ZIP file, accept this and the result will be the same.

You should finish up with a folder called 'spsetup 128' which will contain one folder called 'lang' and four files - 'License.txt', 'portable.dat', speccy.exe' and 'speccy64.exe'.

To run speccy just double click on the file 'speccy.exe'. When it has finished analysing just copy/paste the URL into your next post. If you have any more problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 techiegeek12

techiegeek12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

To bypass the System Restore did not complete successfully error, you can try to run System Restore from Safe Mode: Restart your computer and press F8 before the Windows logo appears. ... Once Windows is done loading, open System Restore and follow the wizard steps to continue

#10 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Chris, I apologize for not getting back to you. Am getting ready to move across town and I am exhausted physically and mentally.  Having said that, I have tried to follow your last instructions and had issues with the copy and paste thingy. Found and clicked on, "copy" but could not find the "paste" option. Really. Is there a book for, copy and paste for dummies!  LOL!  And, I can hear you laughing.  Will try again this evening and let you know.  And again, thank you for your time and effort!  Talk soon.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

If you are getting as far as my second image in my #4 post, above, click on 'Copy to clipboard'. Then go to this topic in BC and, in your next post click in the 'Reply to this topic box' to start a reply. Then RIGHT click and a  small pop-up menu should appear, like this image below, and click 'Paste' and the URL will appear in the box you write your post in.

Attached File  Right click - paste.jpg   16.68KB   0 downloads

I made this image posting into Notepad, but posting into a topic on BC works in exactly the same way.

Best of luck with your move and get that out of the way. I expect to be still here when you have the time to get back to this problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

In Windows 7, there is no clipboard.

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Hi carolinagirl9235,

Please excuse the interposition, but, yes, you actually do have a clipboard in Windows 7--it is a basic function of Windows and really all operating systems, Apple, Android, Linux, etc.  In fact it was one of the first things a computer could do when they were little more than word processors.  Yours may not be functioning correctly, but it is not a program that you have to open first to use it, you just have to follow the steps of the process.  In fact you have probably been using it and just didn't know that you were or what it was called.  The basics, everything you should want to know about using the clipboard can be found in one of BC's own tutorials.  I suggest you read the tutorial, play around with how it works and then read Chris instructions again carefully and try to post again.

How to Copy, Cut, and Paste in Windows

Also, were you able to unzip and run Speccy?  If you have your file extensions hidden, you might not recognize the zip file because it looks like a folder with a zipper on it instead of a file.  Extracting from the zip folder to a normal folder is preferred before running the program.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Papakid, I must admit that I have never really had the time to look at the manuy turotials on this site. I must have at least a quick look through them !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 carolinagirl9235

carolinagirl9235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Papakid,

Hey!  Join the party!  I want to thank you for taking the time to assist me with this...this mess! LOL!  Just so you know where I got that information, I Googled it and wrote, "where is the clipboard in Windows 7."  The first answer was Windows 7 does not come equipped with a clipboard. In hindsight, never accept the first answer that pops up...my mistake! What is it about people who put incorrect info on the web...Windows is bad for this too.

I found the "zipped" file but did not know what to do with it. Never had one. When giving instructions to someone like myself think of me as a child in the first grade. For example, I had to look up the definition of "URL."  You can stop laughing now! LOL!   

Okay. I now found two of same files, one in "pictures" and a second one in "documents:  1.)  Speccy.ini  2.)  Speccy.exe  3.) License.txt  I KNEW IT!  Suspected I screwed up somewhere. 

I will take your advice and look through the tutorials. Thanks for that info.  Hope the instructions are for Dummies.  Got to go offline for a few minutes. Almost burned dinner while on my PC...See you guys shortly.  And again, I am thankful for you, techiegeek12, and especially Chris for all your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users