Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentium D 950 Windows 7 Install Help

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ianhaney50

ianhaney50

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Hi

I am having a bit of a nightmare trying to install Windows 7 on a Pentium D 950 computer, it's a NEC Powermate ML450. From what I have seen on Google etc. it can take Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 as it's got 3GB RAM, a 500GB HDD. It don't seem to boot from the disc on startup when I press F8 and select to boot from the disc, it just keeps looping. I currently have XP on it as that's all I can install on it so far. I have tried a USB stick to install Windows 7 but does the same thing and just loops on startup when press F8 and select USB.

I am currently trying to install Windows 7 from Windows itself and at the mo it is copying the Windows files but when it reboots it just keeps rebooting/looping

I installed Windows 7 upgrade tool and says Windows 7 can be installed so don't get it.

Has anyone had the same issue or can help please?

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

First of all, is this a genuine Win 7 installation disc and do you have a valid key?

The next thing to do is to go into the BIOS (tapping F2 while the maker's screen is visible should take you there) and change the boot sequence in BIOS to (1) Optical drive, (2) hard drive, (3) anything else. Then while still in the BIOs open the optical drive and put the Win 7 disc in then exit BIOS. The computer will restart and should try to boot from the Win 7 disc. You should get a message 'Press any key to boot from CD drive', do just that. I usually tap the space bar - it's the biggest !

The computer should now boot from the DVD and install Win 7. If it doesn't it may be because you have a faulty disc. You can download the ISO from MS here -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

You need to choose the correct version, in your case probably 32 bit Home Premium. The file comes as an ISO file and you will need to use ImageBurn to produce an installable DVD from the ISO file. Image Burn -

http://www.imgburn.com/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:41 AM

Hi, it is a iso file burned onto a DVD disc, I have not got a product key yet as was going to install it first and then get a key as think it can be used for 30 days or something if I remember. I have used the disc loads of times in other PC's and it works and installs fine.

The disc I am using is 32bit Home Premium. I tried the steps you mentioned and pressed spacebar when the message "Press any key to boot from CD drive" appeared but it just loops and keeps starting up over and over. The only O/S I have been managed to install without any issue is Windows XP using a DVD disc. It's weird that it can boot from a Windows XP disc but nothing else.

#4 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

I am out of ideas, I followed the instructions as mentioned above and it did not come with "Press any key to boot from CD drive" so had to press F8 to bring up the boot menu and selected the CD/DVD drive and it light starts flashing away on the optical drive and can hear it spinning and then for some reason the PC just reboots again and that is all it does, I have tried different RAM stick in every RAM slot and just does the same thing

UPDATE: I changed the PSU and still does the same thing, it's weird that it can install Windows XP from the disc on bootup when I press F8 and select CD/DVD in the boot menu. I have tried a few different Windows 7 discs and also a Windows Vista disc. It don;t seem to like anything apart from Windows XP.

I am totally out of ideas now

Edited by ianhaney50, 26 March 2018 - 05:15 AM.

#5 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

Just thinking would the BIOS need updating. I have installed CPU-Z and the manufacturer is NEC Computers International, the model is ECS-945G and the BIOS brand is American Megatrends INC and says the BIOS version is 080013.

#6 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

I have given up on it as am out of ideas, I tried to even install a second hard drive and install Windows 7 on the second one and keep XP on the first one and started installing from the setup.exe file I clicked on within Windows XP and got to 30% on expanding files and it reboots but the issue happens where it just loops on startup and does not get no further than the splash screen where to press F2 for BIOS and just keeps looping that screen so gave up with it, for some reason it don't like to install anything properly apart from XP

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

When you boot the Windows 7 disk can you get as far as the initial screen asking for language? How did you create the bootable USB flash drive?

#8 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

No it don't even get that far as to asking for the language.

I created the bootable USB flash drive using rufus and a iso file

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,581 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

That's strange. Just for fun does Mint Cinnamon install? Mint should run very well on that computer.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

#10 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Im not sure as never tried it, is it easy to install? Also can I put it on DVD?

If I install Mint and that installs all ok, would I be able to then install Windows 7?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,581 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Yes, You can easily install. You can boot a DVD or USB flash drive. Note: Do not enter anything during the boot process. What until you are at the desktop. Mint can run from the DVD or USB flash drive and RAM. If Mint can boot and install then something is going on with the Windows 7 install but I have no idea. Maybe drivers for the computer's chipset or mass storage driver? I can't understand why XP would install and not Windows 7. XP is 32bit. Are you using Windows 7 32bit? But, the CPU is 64bit and Windows 7 64bit should install without a problem. 

When at the Mint desktop play around with it a little. Clicking the install icon on the desktop will attempt an install.

#12 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Yeah XP is 32bit so was trying to install Windows 7 32bit. I did try 64bit and the same thing happened where it just loops on startup and does not boot from the DVD disc.

Will attempt the install and post a update, I am just downloading the 32bit iso at the mo, got 24 mins left

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

That desktop is from 2006 from my search and I've installed Windows 7 32bit on an HP from 2005 with a Pentium 820 Smithfield and I could never get it to boot and install from any media other than a DVD.

The processor is a 64 bit processor however the motherboard and bios may only support a 32 bit OS.

The next thing is where did you download your Windows 7 iso from.

When I downloaded a Windows 7 iso from Microsoft it required a product key before it would let me download the iso and the product key has to be for the exact copy of Windows 7 you are downloading.

A product key for a 64 bit Windows 7 will not work for 32 bit.

Edited by The-Toolman, 26 March 2018 - 05:07 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#14 ianhaney50

ianhaney50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

I downloaded the iso from a link my supplier gave me, it works on other PC's I have used the DVD disc on to install Windows 7 Home Premium

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Im not sure as never tried it, is it easy to install? Also can I put it on DVD?

If I install Mint and that installs all ok, would I be able to then install Windows 7?

If I were you I would create a bootable DVD for a computer that old.

Not to step on any toes but just because Linux 64 bit may install and run on that computer doesn't mean that Windows 7 64 bit will install and run.

Edited by The-Toolman, 26 March 2018 - 05:08 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users