I have a friend for whose computer security I am, by default, more or less responsible. He has had a stroke that has compromised his already limited computer skills. He's been afflicted with a spam attack that I am trying to deflect by using mail rules (another thread in the General Security forum). His computer is a relatively new (2 years plus) HP desktop running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, version 1709. His Internet connection is a legacy WildBlue subscription and he is using the WildBlue mail client.
A mutual friend (living far away) has been insisting that the subject computer has a virus, and urging my friend to install Norton antivirus. The subject computer has, however,. Webroot SecureAnywhere installed, with a license for 3 devices valid until September 15, 2019. Every test I could devise indicated that Webroot was running and doing its job. None of the scans I ran (including ESET online scanner and Malwarebytes 3) found any sign of virus or malware activity. The Speccy report did, however, to my surprise indicate that a good many recent Windows updates (including several of the cumulative ones) had failed to install. I tried running Windows Update, which reported (after each of several attempts) that KB4088776 failed to install, with error 0x80070bc2. At earlier dates, KB4056092 had failed to install, error 0x80070020, and KB4058043 had failed to install, error 0x80240034, according to the Windows Update log.
I have published the Speccy report at (link removed until I can figure out how to redact the user name - can someone tell me how to do that?).
Can anyone suggest what is going on there? It looks to me as if no cumulative updates have been installed since about the middle of December - and perhaps not since the upgrade to version 1709.
EDIT - I have tried via Google to find out what I could about those error numbers. From this I gained the impression that real-time scanning/monitoring by Webroot might be causing this problem. I am tempted therefore to wonder whether, on my next visit to that location, to turn off the Webroot real-time functions temporarily, and see whether Windows Update will then succeed in bringing the system up to date.
In looking up those error messages, I also found more more complex actions that might straighten things out. I have to admit that my own experience with Windows, including Windows 10 so far, has been so painless I have had little occasion to investigate troubleshooting or ways of fixing things. I am thus relatively unfamiliar with the more advanced techniques.
Edited by saluqi, 25 March 2018 - 08:52 PM.