Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Windows updating problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

I have a friend for whose computer security I am, by default, more or less responsible.  He has had a stroke that has compromised his already limited computer skills.  He's been afflicted with a spam attack that I am trying to deflect by using mail rules (another thread in the General Security forum).  His computer is a relatively new (2 years plus) HP desktop running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, version 1709.  His Internet connection is a legacy WildBlue subscription and he is using the WildBlue mail client.

A mutual friend (living far away) has been insisting that the subject computer has a virus, and urging my friend to install Norton antivirus.  The subject computer has, however,. Webroot SecureAnywhere installed, with a license for 3 devices valid until September 15, 2019.  Every test I could devise indicated that Webroot was running and doing its job.  None of the scans I ran (including ESET online scanner and Malwarebytes 3) found any sign of virus or malware activity.  The Speccy report did, however, to my surprise indicate that a good many recent Windows updates (including several of the cumulative ones) had failed to install.  I tried running Windows Update, which reported (after each of several attempts) that KB4088776 failed to install, with error 0x80070bc2.  At earlier dates, KB4056092 had failed to install, error 0x80070020, and KB4058043 had failed to install, error 0x80240034, according to the Windows Update log.

I have published the Speccy report at (link removed until I can figure out how to redact the user name - can someone tell me how to do that?).

Can anyone suggest what is going on there?  It looks to me as if no cumulative updates have been installed since about the middle of December - and perhaps not since the upgrade to version 1709.

EDIT - I have tried via Google to find out what I could about those error numbers.  From this I gained the impression that real-time scanning/monitoring by Webroot might be causing this problem. I am tempted therefore to wonder whether, on my next visit to that location, to turn off the Webroot real-time functions temporarily, and see whether Windows Update will then succeed in bringing the system up to date.

In looking up those error messages, I also found more more complex actions that might straighten things out.  I have to admit that my own experience with Windows, including Windows 10 so far, has been so painless I have had little occasion to investigate troubleshooting or ways of fixing things.  I am thus relatively unfamiliar with the more advanced techniques.

Edited by saluqi, 25 March 2018 - 08:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

I can now report that thanks to a tip from the Microsoft community, I was finally able, after numerous failures, to install cumulative update 2018-03 on the subject computer.  In the meantime this update had progressed from KB4088776 to KB4089848, and that latter ls the one that was successfully installed.

The process took more than 5 hours and required more than 20 restarts.  The key to it was, before each restart, to open an administrative command prompt and enter the command "SC config trustedinstaller start=auto" (of course without the quote marks).  Then restart the computer.  The restart option selected was "update and restart".  During the two stage restart process, the displayed text included "Stage 2 of 20".  Next time (again preceding the restart with the above command-line procedure) it displayed "Stage 2 of 19"; then "Stage 2 of 18", then "Stage 2 of 17" . . . and so on for 20 consecutive restarts until we got down to "Stage 2 of 2".  After that it still took two more restarts (each prefaced by the "SC config trustedinstaller start=auto" command) and a final plain restart without the "SC config trustedinstaller start=auto" command.  After each restart I went to the "Settings/Update & Security" page and each time it said "Status: awaiting restart".  I again executed the described command-line procedure and then restarted the computer.  Actually I had to download the update twice before all this could be started.

I disabled Webroot's "Real-time shield" during this entire procedure, and turned it back on afterward.  That might or might not have been necessary.  I suspected that Webroot's real-time shield might be interfering with the update.

Since this is the most recent cumulative update, does that mean that this system is now "up to date"?  One of the disturbing things during all this process was that several times the Settings/Update & Security page reported the system ":Up to date" when examination of the "Installed updates" showed that it was not.

There remains, of course, the question of what happens when the nest Cumulative Update is issued.  The other updates, security for Adobe Flash Player and so on, all went through, but none of the Cumulative Updates to Windows itself.  The first one (December 14) after the upgrade to Version 1709 did go through, but none after that.

Of course I still wonder what the problem was/is, and whether it will recur.  I'd hate to have to go through a 5 1/2 hour circus every time a new cumulative update comes out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users