Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows detected a hard disk problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 computer_problems

computer_problems

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

(note: i am running Windows 8.1 Pro on a Lenovo Thinkpad W540)

several days ago i received a blue screen of death and my computer restarted. upon restart my computer acted like a new system (received the “let’s get you started” message, etc.), and though my data and programs were all intact my user settings (background, taskbar settings, MS Office default settings, etc.) were gone. i also received a message which read “Windows detected a hard disk problem.” in the details it says that “SAMSUNG MZ7TE256HMHP-000L7” is reporting failure. some programs are also acting odd – e.g. Microsoft Office programs won’t open unless i right-click and open as administrator, not all fonts render as they should, etc.

i have since done the following:

- backed up important data.

- ran sfc /scannow in command prompt as administrator. was told that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”

- ran DISM Restorehealth and then ran sfc /scannow again after reboot. continued to receive the same message as above.

- ran “wmic diskdrive get status” in cmd. Received one “Pred Fail” result and four “OK”s.

- ran CHKDSK on C: drive several times. results were inconsistent – was told that errors were found after some checks but that no errors were found after others.

- ran CHKDSK /f /x /r /b C: in boot. continued to receive “Windows detected a hard disk problem” message after reboot.

- used third-party software to check hard drive health. one of these programs indicated that it found no bad sectors. however CrystalDiskInfo is indicating a problem with “Wear Leveling Count,” and “Health Status” is at “Bad 100%”.

i chatted with a number of Microsoft customer service people. one suggested that i do an “in-place upgrade” and said that it would not remove any of my data or programs. another suggested that i do a “refresh your PC,” which would delete my programs but not my files. i would be open to trying the in-place upgrade, particularly if i can be sure that i wouldn’t lose anything, but i tend to question how good Microsoft’s customer service people are.

is this a hardware problem or a software problem? would the in-place upgrade or refresh really fix anything? do i need to replace my hard drive? is there some other fix?

note that my computer is 3.5 years old and has an SSD. i do tax my computer at times but this seems like it would be very early for it to crap out. i've been having some problems with my PC for the last several months too (available hard drive space read ~10GB at startup but quickly fell below 1GB during use, somewhat frequent blue screens, etc.) but i'm not sure if this is related.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

(available hard drive space read ~10GB at startup but quickly fell below 1GB during use, somewhat frequent blue screens, etc.)

A drive should have at least 10-20% free space on the drive and that does not include the space for over provisioning.

https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/

https://superuser.com/questions/1256074/how-much-space-to-leave-free-on-hdd-or-ssd

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

I don't know the size of your SSD, but if the free space ever falls below 1gig you will have problems. Rule of thumb is to always keep at least 10-15% free space on your drive; Windows needs this space for function. If you are below that you can have problems.

Next, test your drive:

Run Seatools for Windows hard drive tester. Download per the link below, install and run the program (free).

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

> The opening screen lists all the HDD disks in your computer.

> In the header, "Basic Tests" you will run two (2) tests, S.M.A.R.T. Check, and Short Generic. Simply click first on SMART Check and let it complete, then click on Short Generic and let it complete. Do not run any other tests or features.

> When each test completes, you will get either "Pass" or "Fail". Post back with the results of each of those two tests.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case. Also, please disconnect/remove any other installed HDDs or flash drives, leaving only the target drive that has Windows installed connected.

Please post back with information and results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 March 2018 - 10:53 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

ranchhand the SSD is 256GB.

#5 computer_problems

computer_problems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

I don't know the size of your SSD, but if the free space ever falls below 1gig you will have problems. Rule of thumb is to always keep at least 10-15% free space on your drive; Windows needs this space for function. If you are below that you can have problems.

Next, test your drive:

Run Seatools for Windows hard drive tester. Download per the link below, install and run the program (free).

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

> The opening screen lists all the HDD disks in your computer.

> In the header, "Basic Tests" you will run two (2) tests, S.M.A.R.T. Check, and Short Generic. Simply click first on SMART Check and let it complete, then click on Short Generic and let it complete. Do not run any other tests or features.

> When each test completes, you will get either "Pass" or "Fail". Post back with the results of each of those two tests.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case. Also, please disconnect/remove any other installed HDDs or flash drives, leaving only the target drive that has Windows installed connected.

Please post back with information and results.

thanks. my SSD is 256GB. actual free space is 20-30GB, but over the last few months my reported free space winds down to <1GB after 1-2 hours of use. i'm using the machine right now (as lightly as i can) and it reports about 25GB free.

for some reason seatools does not detect my hard drive. however, again, i ran the check on CrystalDiskInfo and encountered a "wear leveling count" error. current =1, worst = 1, threshold = 5. from what i understand that's a pretty damn bad result. encountered the same results for "wear range delta" on HD Tune.

i assume this is indicative of a hardware problem but i'm not savvy enough to know if software could be the cause, and if perhaps doing an in-place reinstall of windows could fix the problem. if it's a software problem the optimal thing to do would be to do the in-place install if it doesn't erase data and programs, but if there's only a small chance that it's a software problem / if the software issues are being caused by problematic hardware then swapping out hard drives would obviously be best. i just don't know how to evaluate the chances that it's one or the other.

Edited by computer_problems, 25 March 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Just a thought, maybe due to the fluctuation space the drive showing is showing the fault.  I would guess a few things can this, maybe another issue.  Have you run your security stuff, could be a sneaky bug. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 computer_problems

computer_problems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Just a thought, maybe due to the fluctuation space the drive showing is showing the fault.  I would guess a few things can this, maybe another issue.  Have you run your security stuff, could be a sneaky bug. 

My guess is that the fluctuation in free storage space is due to the pagefile.sys file. I have 16GB of RAM but will sometimes keep lots of tabs open in my browsers, sometimes in the hundreds. maybe this was a mistake in retrospect but i thought that a robust system would be able to handle this kind of use. i'm also pretty careful about how i navigate the web so i'd tend to doubt that it's a bug though i suppose it could happen to anyone.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Only takes a short time to be sure!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

I have a gut feeling that your SSD is in trouble. Some drives may not show up in Seatools, but I didn't think Samsung was one of them.  Just to double-check run Gsmart Control on your SSD.

Link and usage info:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gsmartcontrol/

Please post back with results.

@JohnC:  thanks John, I posted a few minutes after you but didn't see your post above me.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 March 2018 - 04:34 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Look into optimizing that SSD

https://www.custompcreview.com/articles/ultimate-ssd-optimization-guide-windows-10-update/

#11 computer_problems

computer_problems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

I have a gut feeling that your SSD is in trouble. Some drives may not show up in Seatools, but I didn't think Samsung was one of them.  Just to double-check run Gsmart Control on your SSD.

Link and usage info:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gsmartcontrol/

Please post back with results.

@JohnC:  thanks John, I posted a few minutes after you but didn't see your post above me.

thanks. the SSD failed GSmart's "overall health self-assessment test" due to the same "wear leveling count" issue. norm-ed value = 1, worst = 1, threshold = 5. program says that the drive is likely to fail very soon. let me know if you'd like any other details.

i take it that this is a good indication that it's a hardware problem in any case.

thanks very much for your help.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Yeah hope you have a backup ready, hey SSD's fail sometimes but dont be afraid to go that route again for your machine.

If you can find someone to replace your drive you are in good luck, just dont take it over to best buy, those people are idiots :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

Before all else, check to see if that drive is still under warranty. I had a 1TB Seagate fail on me once, and I was surprised to find that it had a 5 year warranty, and it was 3years old. Seagate sent me a prepaid shipping label, and immediately shipped a new one to me. Check it out first.

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

That Samsung drive model number points to be a Samsung PM851 drive. That is an OEM drive and only has the same warranty as the laptop that it came with. The OP will need to contact Lenovo about any possible warranty, Samsung does not offer a warranty on this drive.

This tag on this SSD had the same part number as the OP's but it clearly shows that it also has a Lenovo part number too

Lenovo_SSD.jpg

There could be an issue as to the drive being too full, which could cause the type of error we are seeing

Edited by Joe C, 26 March 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

The OP reports as follows:

my SSD is 256GB. actual free space is 20-30GB, but over the last few months my reported free space winds down to <1GB after 1-2 hours of use. i'm using the machine right now (as lightly as i can) and it reports about 25GB free.

There should be enough space for normal use. The only thing that is dodgy is that reading on loss of space after 2 hours of use. I assume that after shutdown and restart the posted space is back up to normal again. That is quite unusual, and I suspect that is one result of the drive in the process of failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users