Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Platipus4skin

Platipus4skin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Im buying a new computer and I want to know if Im getting my moneys worth it's a 2.9 GHz quad core,ddr2 8gb ram, a saphire r7260x graphics card and 400w psu ( i dont know what most of this means Btw )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

It depends.

The specs all point to as an old or refurbished machine.

Normally that is fine but it has to be in a certain price point.

If a machine like that was presented to me I would say maybe $30-50 USD would be a great asking price.

The cheaper the better with such old hardware

If this machine is being sold to you for more than $100 then you are seriously being ripped off.

The hardware is too old to have major value in today's market, I mean yes the hardware is mostly still viable but if the seller is charging you over $100 then you have made a serious blunder.

Unless the machine has a muse/keyboard/printer and monitor then maybe $100 is a decent asking price but if its the base machine and thsy are charging you more than $100 then you got ripped off.

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 March 2018 - 12:01 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

In addition to the above, a 400W PSU is not sufficient to run a Sapphire R7260x, it the computer has been run using an underpowered PSU one or more components may have been damaged, avoid the purchase if this is the case. 

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Well they seemed to already made the purchase.

I mean the PSU can hopefully be changed out but we dont even know if the machine is small form factor or anything like that.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 trump_richard

trump_richard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

The specs you have mentioned are good enough to buy the computer. Depends upon your use i.e. for gaming, graphics, animation work, u can later upgrade it. 

#6 Platipus4skin

Platipus4skin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

Thank you all of you Im totally not going to get that computer Id rather know what Im buying and probably build one I was for sure going to get ripped off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users