Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer refuses to boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MadDemon64

MadDemon64

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

For the past several days, my computer has refused to boot the first time I press the power button.  It goes to the splash screen but there are no spinning dots; it just hangs on the splash screen and does nothing.  I have to hold the power button again to turn it off and then push the button again, and then it works.  And, each time I do this, I get the following event in my event log:

The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was false.

I have no idea what is going on with my computer.  Is it dying or is something else going on?

Edited by MadDemon64, 25 March 2018 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

Firstly, disable fast startup in Windows 8.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X. Select command prompt as admin. Type the following commands.

powercfg -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot and see if the computer shuts down and boots normally.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 March 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#3 MadDemon64

MadDemon64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Firstly, disable fast startup in Windows 8.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X. Select command prompt as admin. Type the following commands.

powercfg -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot and see if the computer shuts down and boots normally.

I haven't used fast startup for a long time, so thankfully we can rule that out.

I'm currently testing a theory to see if disabling hibernation is the cause, because each day prior to the problem, I left my computer asleep for so long it hibernated.  I'm thinking maybe something is going on with my the hibernation function.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

I always avoid hibernation. The powercfg command I posted turns it off.

#5 MadDemon64

MadDemon64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

Ok, so after a bit of experimentation, I have determined that the cause is indeed hibernation.  My computer starts up fine if I shut it down if it has been put to sleep (or hasn't), but it always fails to start up from hibernation.

I have deactivated hibernation until I figure out just what's going on.  But I did run DISM, SFC, Norton, and Malwarebytes, and they came up with nothing.  I will run CHKDSK to see if it can find anything.  I have a sneaking suspicion this was caused by the automatic updates I installed a little over a week ago.

#6 GeekzwebDOTcom

GeekzwebDOTcom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

I have never been a fan of hibernation.  Although, I am also a guy who shuts down all power management features.  I don't want anything to shut down, spin down, or turn off unless I hit a button.  Personal preference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users