Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail on computer or on server?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

Is the average person safer by using a mail program offered by their provider versus using MS program on their computers.  I have thought that viewing mail on a server is safer as things have not been directly loaded on their computer, looking for others opinions.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

I use both...webmail and Thunderbird.  I use the webmail as a filter/screening device for all email sent to my email account...and I delete all the spam from within the webmail account.  I then download only the emails which I want to read/keep to my TBird email client on my system.  The webmail site will stop a minority of the spam that I receive...I do not rely on it and just do a visual screen of all email at the webmail site.

I never consider "safety" when it comes to email, other than declining to click on email/links from appears unlikely to be desired or useful.  I just see no reason to download spam emails to my system and I can conveniently use the webmail account to weed them out..

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

It really doesn't matter with regard to e-mail messages themselves (as opposed to attachments).

Whether you use POP or IMAP you are downloading the message bodies to your computer (and that's in webmail, too, otherwise you couldn't see them).  Depending on how you have things configured in an e-mail client you may or may not download attachments in advance as some can be set to download them only if you select them.

In the end, it really doesn't matter in this day and age if your e-mail provider is doing virus/malware scanning, and many do, and you're using some sort of antivirus/antimalware combination that scans all e-mail messages during download, and that's how most are set up these days.

If something makes it through from an untrusted source then I, like Louis, decline to click on any link or attachment in the message and just delete it.

The vast majority of my access to e-mail is via webmail or a mobile client.

From a non-security perspective, I always recommend that folks who have the option use IMAP access, which keeps all their messages on the server with local copies of the message bodies created in the client for some period of time, which eventually get deleted but will be retrieved again if you want to read them at some distant future time.  Data centers have backup and restore protocols that are a lot more rigorous than most home users ever will and, in addition, IMAP automatically causes all devices that access the same e-mail account(s) to remain in sync with each other.

Edited by britechguy, 25 March 2018 - 10:12 AM.
Added bit about IMAP at the end

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Are you asking related to malware or privacy?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

IMAP is the way I like to go, it gives you more flexibility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users