Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Charging problem Lenovo Y580

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 halocroft

halocroft

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

Hi,
Basically at some point my laptop stop charging. Previously i used my laptop as PC and battery was always removed, but about 1 month ago my laptop started cutting out power (just shutdown without any message, black screen and thats it). It happened when i was launching games, then it sometimes cut power on booting windows. So i figured that maybe something will change when i plug in battery. And it did. I dont get power cuts no more, because at those points when my laptop shutdown, now it only stop charging (going straight to battery mode), when i unplug and plug back in charger, everythings goes back normal. So the thing is: which part is faulty? Charger? And maybe someone know how to troubleshoot this kind of problem?
BTW Everything inside laptops totally clean, thermal compound is changed, drivers is up to date (i'm saying this so that no one will suggest offering these "solutions" :D )
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

The charger/PSU could be faulty, or the circuitry that distributes the power in the laptop might have the fault. Overall, the charger unit is probably more likely to be bad.

To find out where the fault lies without having workshop test equipment, you'd need to get the temporary use of another power pack (or see if your PSU has the same problem on another laptop that uses the same type). Looks like the PSU is a fairly common type supplying 19/19.5V to a widely used concentric DC plug.

Edited by Platypus, 25 March 2018 - 05:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

Your charger (ac adapter) will have Lenovo part number(s) and/or an FRU number.  Make sure you only buy a genuine Lenovo adapter as the knockoffs tend to have wildly varying quality.

$18: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Lenovo-120W-19-5V-AC-Adapter-41A9734-41A9733-For-Lenovo-Y560-Y570-Y580/323158698519?hash=item4b3dc26a17:g:2gkAAOSwmRNasWdO

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users