Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode issues

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 co1615

co1615

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Helloo,

My comp has been slowing over time. I ran virus scans over the past week, finding nothing. Malwarebytes has been prompting for an update for over a week now. I tried updating it a couple of times to no avail. I was going to reinstall Win 8 today. I decided to run Emisoft's emergency scan tool first. I did twice. Each time it found something. I quarantined the first as it was listed as no risk & I deleted the trojan after the 2nd pass. I them tried getting into safe mode multiple times, but it's a no go. After googling, I found how to force safe mode from a Lifewire article using the command prompt. I tried the way the instructions said going into troubleshooting>advanced>startup. I couldn't get the prompt window to open following these instructions. AFter it restarted normally, I then opened the command prompt wiand typed in the following:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

I got the message saying the operation was successful & then closed it out & hit the restart. Now it won't boot at all. It starts up with minimal activity on the HDD LED & the monitor doesn't come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Here is the link to the article: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-force-windows-to-restart-in-safe-mode-2625163

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:07 AM

Try unplugging everything after turning off power.

Press and hold in power button for 20 seconds or so.

Re- plug everything back in and after router comes back fully online turn on machine.

Does machine start now?

EDIT.. I never use that method of booting into safe mode as if it fails for any reason you are stuck in no mans land.

Edited by opera, 25 March 2018 - 12:09 AM.

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

Also would recommend, while you have the machine off, and unplugged, after hitting the power key for 20 seconds, to hold down the CMOS button for 10 seconds (or cross the pins if your motherboard doesn't have a CMOS) button with a paper clip for 10 seconds. Another method for resetting CMOS is to remove the battery for 10 minutes and re-install it. Try clearing your CMOS, then try rebooting. 

#4 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Well, I followed the steps of resetting by removing the battery. It didn't fix it. In fact, now I only get 1 flash of the HDD LED & then nothing after. Looks like I may have a new backup HDD! I have a set of recovery disks, but I don't want to wipe this one. Any other suggestions?

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

I'm stumped on this ...I have forwarded your thread to my friend Jenae. She might be able to help you. 

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Other than the fact that you said you had virus' detected and removed...I would say it might be a power supply problem...But since you did, that leads me to believe that your Bios or MBR has been damaged. possibly. Jenae might know what to tell you. If you had Windows 10, I could probably help. 

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

Hi, well it is possible that you have not performed the CMOS reset properly, did you make sure all power was off to the unit(if a laptop (battery removed), then hold down the startup button for a sec to drain any residual power. Go back and reset the cmos battery, make sure it is properly seated, and of course in the right way round. Boot your computer to the BIOS, if it boots to bios then load optimized defaults and see if the machine then boots. The bcdedit safe mode cmd should not have caused you any issues, you can set a safe boot from the "boot" tab of Msconfig, btw.

#8 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

I tried the hold the power for 30 seconds option. It still won't display anything on the monitor, but the HDD LED is more active now. I did remove the CMOS battery from the PC for over 10 minutes yesterday.

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

What is happening when you reboot?

#10 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

All that happens is about 10-15 secs of HDD LED activity, no output to the monitor.

#11 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

Please provide the model of your PC. The motherboard and model if it is a custom built computer. The processor, if you have that info. And the video card you have installed. And lastly the power supply rating and model. 

#12 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

I'm at work right now, so can't check on a couple of things. Here is a link to the model (HP P6-2326s), https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03509229

I don't remember if I added a video card & swapped the PSU or not? That's what I need to check. It has 8GB of ram & the G645 Pentium.

#13 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

After looking that model up. looks like it doesn't come with a graphics card. It has integrated graphics. If you added a video card, then I would try pulling it out and rebooting to the integrated graphics on the board. If you did not install a video card, then you might be looking at the integrated graphics have gone out. You can add a video card to your top PCI-E slot...but with a power supply of 300 watts like is in that system, your choices will be limited. You will probably need one that doesn't have outside power connectors but is powered from the motherboard. I am thinking your onboard video went out. To test it, you need a video card to stick in there and check. 

#14 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

I just found this info, so will try the escape key once I get home.

"To open the Computer Setup Utility, turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens."

#15 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

I just found this info, so will try the escape key once I get home.

"To open the Computer Setup Utility, turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users