Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing a Letter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

DadaMan

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Dear Friends,

hope all is well.

I'm trying to print a letter using Leafpad Text Editor and I cannot get it to print from there.

So, what is the format/details in order to Print a letter for present and future use?

Thank You!

Best,

Raphael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Leafpad I am not familiar with but do you have a printer installed on your system ?

I have just looked at the text editor In Mint and, should I wish to print from there, then it is click on 'File' and then 'Print'

A text editor would not be my first choice for writing a letter, or any other document, in - I would use the installed Libre Office - Write, a fully configured word processor which makes doo-dads like formating, choosing fonts and font sizes and so on a doddle. Yes, you can write a letter - or almost any other document - in a text editor, but getting it to look 'nice' is hard work !

As for the future use, you need to save your document - 'File - Save as' - by givvving it a name and choosing a location for it, somewhere in your /home folder. Then you can always open it again in the future and it will be as good as new.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

Yep, he's right again. 

Chris is correct; I definitely wouldn't use Leafpad for writing letters. I also wouldn't use AbiWord; it has a number of long-standing bugs which make it rather crash-prone and, despite several 'upgrades' since they were first reported, these still haven't been fixed.

LibreOffice is a good choice. Or, if you want something a bit more similar to Windows Office, which has compatibility with M$'s .docx format, yet which is still free to download and use, then SoftMaker GmbH's FreeOffice takes some beating.

I've produced Puppy packages for the 2016 version, which work in more or less all 5- and 6-series (and some 7-series) Pups. If you're interested, see my thread here on the Puppy Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112318

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 March 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thank you Chris,

I do not have it installed yet and its 150 MB. I'm trying to be on the conservative side in keeping things as simple as possible. I didn't want  gum up the works by adding a new app for a letter here and there. I would like something though so that if I wanted to type or copy and paste and print I could do so.

In Windows I type the letter in Notepad and print and make any adjustments there..Very simple. When I tried to print from Leafpad it kept creating things or asking for things that I'm not at all familiar with. I gave up and copy/pasted and sent it to my desktop and printed there is less than 10 seconds not a hitch.

The way Leafpad appeared I thought the process would be like Notepad as it offers the same options. But as we are aware now its a different app.

Other thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Best, Raphael

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

FreeOffice is around 80 MB in total.....

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

Which distro of Linux are you running ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Which distro of Linux are you running ?

tahrpup 6.0.5 suggested by Mike whom has been a tremendous help in all regards getting Linux up and running onto a thumbdrive, etc...

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

@ mike....do you feel that adding either Libre office or FreeOffice will gum up the works ?...is there another notepad type app that may do the job in tahrpup ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

@ Condobloke:-

Hiya, Brian.

TBH, I can't think of anything else that would really perform what Dadaman wants, without using an office suite of some kind or another.

The default Abiword (common to all Pups) has always been a PITA. It's got long-standing bugs which just are not being addressed by the developer, despite repeated requests from some of our own devs. Some of these cause it to crash quite regularly.....

Personally, it would drive me up the wall tying to format and lay-out a letter with Leafpad. It's just not designed for that kind of thing. Come to that, neither is Notepad..!

There's no end of lightweight Windows alternatives, if you happen to run WINE. One of these is the Jarte word-processor, which is actually based on the Notepad 'engine'. I use it myself sometimes.....but then I have WINE installed for a lot of other Windoze apps too (mainly for my copy of Adobe's Photoshop CS2, from around 12 years ago). It's not something you want installed for one, small item.....

I don't see it gumming-up the works. My recommendation would be for the lightest office suite possible, which I think you'll find is FreeOffice.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 March 2018 - 09:36 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thank You folks for all your precious time and help. I'm still trying to decide what if anything to do!?

Side note: What are the recommended settings for PUP Advert blocker 0.3?
I mentioned this before and it hasn't posed an any immediate or obvious problem other than what it does. That is sometimes when I plug in the AC adapter the screen dims. The only way I've found to get it back to standard brightness is by Exit>Shutdown. Although I have not tries a Reboot.
Just curious...

Cheers, Raphael

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

If you want to make letters and other documents look really professional you could learn to use LaTeX document editors (TexMaker) for example, you type the text but then use text commands to format it which gets compiled by software to make a really fancy looking document in whatever default or custom style you script it to. Bit of a learning curve for people who've previously only used ms-office/libreoffice, but once you've got a good template you never really need to edit it, you just change the text.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

Thank You!

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

What's the problem installing LibreOffice?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

What's the problem installing LibreOffice?

I don't think there's a problem, as such, Punk. I think it boils down to the fact that he wants to keep Pup as lightweight as possible, and, er, lets face it.....LibreOffice is definitely starting to get a wee bit 'porky' these days..!

That's the main reason I switched to FreeOffice myself.

Mike. :wink:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

nothing really except I'll hardly ever use it and I'm trying to keep things simple.
Have any idea why sometimes when I plug in the AC adapter it causes the screen to dim. I have to Reboot to get it back to normal brightness. If I unplug the adapter then it returns to normal brightness. I have changed adapters both OEM and aftermarket and it seems to have the same type of behavior. It doesn't happen all the time either. Just curious if this is a known Bug or something else?!?

Thanks again,
Ralph

Edited by DadaMan, 06 April 2018 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users