Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Turn On Windows Search

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wildbug123

wildbug123

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

I'm unable to Turn On Windows Search or ReBuild the Search Index. I've tried numerous fixes over the past few days to no avail.
This includes a few registry edits, numerous scans (both error & malware), etc.
Thanks for any and all help,
wildbug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Have you disabled Cortana?

There is no Windows Search (as such) anymore.  Cortana is the replacement, even if all "her" personal digital assistant features have been disabled.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

I'm unable to find/enable Cortana atm.

#4 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

I remember disabling a lot of these features in the past, so that's more than likely it. All remnants of Cortana appear to be gone from my computer, so I'm unsure how to enable it once again. Is there a way to restore these features?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

If you are only looking to do file searches use Everything. It's very fast and you can use the Portable Version if you wish.

https://www.voidtools.com/

I may be wrong but the next major upgrade of Windows 10, the Spring Update, may give you back Cortana.

Did you attempt the fix outlined in the below link?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/win-10-reinstall-cortana-resolve-app-search-other-related-cooke

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Download and install "Everything" ....it's better than Windows search all day long. https://www.voidtools.com/

Download and install "Everything" ....it's better than Windows search all day long. https://www.voidtools.com/

#7 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

Thanks John, 

I'm going to try the voidtools.  

I was going to try the method outlined here if restoring Cortana was the only way of doing searches:

Repair Install Windows 10 In Place

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

I love the Everything Search by voidtools, but it is only useful if you search by file name.  It does not index file contents.

That's the reason that I use Cortana, that I long ago neutered back to what was Windows Search using settings that are no longer available, when I know something about what's in the file but can't for the life of me remember where I put it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

Thanks John, 

I was going to try the method outlined here if restoring Cortana was the only way of doing searches:

I would give the command in the link I provided a go before attempting an inplace install. Make sure you are at an elevated command prompt.

#10 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks John, 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

Thanks John, 

Yes, I understand that but did you use the command to reinstall Cortana as shown in the link?

Press the Windows Key + X. Select command prompt powershell as admin. 

Copy and paste the below command and press enter.

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2018 - 02:07 PM.

#12 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

Sorry John, it looks like I reposted my original post again by mistake somehow.

I'll definitely give your way a go before using my link.  

Will restoring Cortana, also restore some of Windows 10 Privacy Issues?

britechguy, you mentioned using Cortana, but neutering it. 

Can you point me to a walkthrough for that? I may need that if I need to search through file contents at some point.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Not sure about the privacy issues. I think those would stay the same. 

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Way back when "Cortana & Search Settings" actually existed as a stand-alone items I turned off "Get to know me," tried to clear anything she might have stored on the cloud (and there was nothing, since turning off "Get to know me" was one of the first things I did), and unchecked the option to search the web and include web results.  This essentially neutered Cortana back to what Windows Search had always been for all practical intents and purposes.

Those settings are long gone.  I picked up the following but have never needed to use it since my choices made way back when have never been undone via any of the major feature updates to Windows 10.  If anyone tries it please confirm (or refute) that it works to get rid of web results at the very least:

Here is how you revert back to on-device Windows Search and disable Cortana:

1. Open up the Registry Editor by searching for “regedit” in search field at the bottom of the screen. This will be the last time you use Cortana before waving her goodbye.
  2. Click at the location bar, right underneath the toolbar, type in the following, and press Enter:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
  3. From the toolbar, go to Edit: New: Key. You should see a blue border and a blinking cursor indicating a text input field to the left in the window; in the folder tree underneath the Windows folder.
  4. Type in “Windows Search” in the selected field and press Enter to confirm.
  5. From the toolbar, go to Edit: New: DWORD (32-bit) Value. You should see a blue border and a blinking cursor indicating a text input field to the right in the window.
  6. Type in “AllowCortana” to this field and press Enter. Leave the key’s default value (0) as-is.
  7. Reboot your Windows device.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Awesome, thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users