Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 365/Azure AD: Sign-in/activation window hidden; can't sign in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nelsonjw

nelsonjw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

One of my remote workers is having a problem with Office 365 which is preventing them from using the company-assigned PC as intended. They're having to sign in through the Office 365 portal in a web browser in order to access Office apps.

They made the apparent mistake of having a personal Microsoft account with the same email address and even same password as their company Azure AD account.  Within the last week a couple of sign-in problems began surfacing:

1. Outlook would hang and take 10+ minutes to load, with DCOM errors (ShellWindows, {9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}) being logged in Event Viewer.

2. Word, Excel and PowerPoint began asking for a PIN that the user did not know to save to SharePoint document libraries.

This morning I remoted in to the PC and checked a few things, like Azure AD (yes, still domain joined) and basic group policy settings. All looked good.  I then ran the Microsoft 'SARA' tool which suggested reinstalling Office, so I let it do that. 

Now Office won't activate at all.  If I open Word, for example, the activation screen comes up.  I put in the user's Azure AD username, have him enter his password, then proceed.   It asks if it's the work or personal account.  I choose Work.   Then nothing happens and Word seems unresponsive.  On the taskbar I can see there is a second window but it is either invisible or perpetually in the background as I can't access it from the taskbar or from alt+tab.  I have to exit Word from Task Manager.

Next I tried reopening Word but this time trying to activate with my credentials, in case the work/personal account confusion was the problem.  No - same thing happened.  After entering my user name, before it even got to asking me for my password, the activation window went away and Word "froze".  Not really frozen, but with a second window spawned but invisible preventing interaction with the main window.

I'm at a loss. Short of having the remote user ship their PC to me so I can reimage it, I am not sure what else to do. Any ideas would be welcome.

Edited by nelsonjw, 24 March 2018 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Are you the O365 Admin? If so, you should have access to Microsoft support. If not, the user should contact the admin.

#3 nelsonjw

nelsonjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Are you the O365 Admin? If so, you should have access to Microsoft support. If not, the user should contact the admin.

I am.

I will do that Monday if nothing else works, but always have trouble with them not understanding the whole remote desktop/logmein situation in that the physical computer is three states away. That's not on the scripts they provide for their call center workers in India or the Philippines so usually makes it a headache to interact. 

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Yes, I know. But in the end they really are your best resource.

#5 nelsonjw

nelsonjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Yes, I know. But in the end they really are your best resource.

K. I'll give them a call Monday morning.

#6 maussie95

maussie95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Maybe this is a coincidence, maybe not, but I have the exact same issue. Did Microsoft say anything to your help, @nelsonjw?

#7 nelsonjw

nelsonjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

Maybe this is a coincidence, maybe not, but I have the exact same issue. Did Microsoft say anything to your help, @nelsonjw?

After a frustrating hour on the phone of collecting logs and running tools I said I was going to try to use the AD 'reset' feature, and got off the phone.

That worked for me.  I had to reinstall some things but most settings repopulated including everything in Office.  This is available in the Azure Portal if you have Intune access, including the 'lite' version of Intune that is included with Microsoft 365 (the $20/mo. plan that includes a Windows license).  I was able to do everything remotely since Azure AD kept the machine domain-joined, aside from having the remote user log into webmail and receive a re-issued LogMeIn link from me.  If we were using TeamViewer instead of LogMeIn even that could have been automated through AD.

The user's PC is working fine and he has had no issues since resetting his PC through Azure AD.

Edited by nelsonjw, 03 April 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#8 maussie95

maussie95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

Thank you. I will try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users