Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

templates vs page builder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

I haven't messed with my own website in forever. I don't want to say I have a disability as, that hasn't been proven(ha, I guess?) but, I struggle with motivation and even things that are interesting get boring quickly.  So, learning new things is both easy and difficult for me. A lot of things are easy to figure out and learn naturally yet, my learning style isn't so easy. I can figure somethings out easier than someone learning from a book or instructions yet, those books, instructions, etc are extremely painfully boring and I give up on those things.  I don't know if I'm making sense here but wanted to explain that I'm not well versed in web design and learning it... well, it's technically within my natural abilities but, isn't likely to happen without just the right teaching. Which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

So, I have some technical ability and can follow instructions well but, don't know anything about actual coding, etc...

With that said... in the past I've made some attempts at taking a CSS template and just editing different parts to get results closer to what I was looking for.  At the moment, I want to change some things and I'm trying to make a decision between doing that again... finding a halfway decent template(I'm extremely picky) and trying to edit it to please me... or, finding a program that will put all the code together for me as I build it without needing many skills.

Thoughts?  For someone that doesn't know a lot about these things... which would give better results?  Editing a template that's already put together or, finding a program?  And if a program, any suggestions?  I just looked at the pinned topic about website building programs but it's a bit outdated. 

Thanks for letting me air my thoughts/questions...  decisions are frustrating for me and I like to get thoughts from others.  So, thanks. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Try posting the link and explain what parts you want to change. Right now we can only use our imagination.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Try posting the link and explain what parts you want to change. Right now we can only use our imagination.

I'm trying to get an opinion of what I might attempt on my own... trying to edit templates to suit my needs or find a web page building program. 
But, if people here will help with edits at times, that's good info to know. I'm not at that point at the moment.  Still kind of thinking things through.  I'm an expert on thinking. HA

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

I would recommend Microsoft Expression Web 4. It's free and very newbie friendly. Trying to edit web templates without a good understanding of CSS is very difficult. I also recommend taking a look through this site. It's helped me a lot. https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_computercode_elements.asp

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

I go back and forth on things, all the time. I started looking to mess with my site, yet again.  I did download and try microsoft expression web 4 and, not sure what I think yet. I'd have to really play with it to get a good feel for it.

But, I found a program today that I think I may give a try... It's called Mobirise

Looks like it could be simple and make sure things are mobile friendly as well.
We'll see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users