Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how fast is firefox?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

I've been using firefox since like, forever ago. Back in the late 90's, in order to avoid IE, I was using Opera. Not sure exactly when I started using firefox but, I loved the idea of not sticking with IE. Since I started using it, there are still reasons why I prefer firefox... part of that is, it's what I'm used to. I don't like change.  I can get used to it, just don't like switching things up so suddenly.

Anyway... firefox has always bragged about how good it is compared to others, etc etc...  but over the last few years, I've had issues with it hogging resources to the point it bogs down my system a bit sometimes....  and the latest versions have been claiming to be faster than the competition.  But, is it?

I play a game called Star Trek:Alien Domain.  First started playing it through facebook alone... now I use it through facebook gameroom which is a little better in some ways.  Now, silly me, I have 3 accounts on the game... one I run in gameroom, one in Firefox, and one in IE.  IE runs THE fastest and firefox causes the most problems.

If firefox is so much better, why do I have issues like this?  Firefox is my go to browser that I use for playing on facebook and just all my general web browsing... and it frustrates me that it can get so bogged down sometimes.  Is there something I can do to make it run faster?

And as far as alternative browsers go... 
If anyone has suggestions, I have some conditions. :) 
I wont use chrome. I use gmail, youtube, and a few other services but try to use google as little as possible. I don't trust them and, well, think they're just about the most powerful entity on the planet. HA.  They have SO much info on everything, have their tentacles on so many projects... and, they've not always been so trustworthy with their data. They collect and store everything they can. I don't like that. Not that I have anything to hide(don't even do banking on my pc, or have a credit card) but, their approach to data just rubs me the wrong way.  Wow, I didn't need to explain all that... I just wont use chrome.
I want something that is fast, secure, and doesn't collect info about your grandparent's grandparents.  HA. 
Why can't technology be simple? 
Anyway... I don't mind sticking with firefox but I wish it wouldn't cause me so much trouble with games hanging and even just normal "not responding"

Any thoughts? Can firefox be tweaked on my end or do I need to find a new go to browser?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Google is your friend!

https://www.google.com/search?q=fastest+browser&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Don't take this personally but, I HATE that response. What's the point of a forum if I can just go google things? Why come here? Again, don't take that personally. :)
Google can be a friend and an enemy. The info there can make your head spin... and, it can be WRONG. You have to read, read, read, read, read and then weigh the info you read.  Some is biased... some is outdated... it's always changing. gives me a headache.  There are many topics on the internet that I can read for hours and hours and then, still not know what I want to do.  :(

I'll take a look... already looking and, already seeing the biased and outdated lists. 

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Just found this excerpt...

"

If you were expecting an exhaustive side-by-side comparison of browser performance, then you may be disappointed to learn that which browser is fastest is largely irrelevant given the architecture of modern web-based applications.  Browser load times are quickly approaching theoretical minimums for network transfer and rendering, while new approaches reduce processing time for interactive content.

In the past we’ve setup test sites and done comprehensive comparisons between browsers, but the results wouldn’t have mattered.  There is no one browser that is fastest for everyone;"

That's just a clip from HERE

But that supports some of my frustration.
I think  I need not be asking which browser is actually faster... I mean, how fast a web page loads? the differences aren't going to be huge today... and on my 1.5Mbps connection, it wont matter much. 
I guess what I should be asking is which browsers function better... hang less...  things of that nature.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

I'm just curious regarding your rant...;what would make you feel...that any opinions expressed by forum members...would be anything other than based on information provided by sometimes limited personal experience...and Google?

I'm sure the membership appreciates your confidence in whatever is spewed out (as opinion)...but I daresay that more definitive, expansive information on topics such as you have raised...just may be found by using Google, IMO.

Louis

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

wow...  another response to go check google and, with an added benefit of calling my post a rant.  :(
I know I'm an odd guy and people take me the wrong way but it hurts every time. I often don't know why I bothered asking for advice.
Thanks....

EDIT:
Just an FYI... but my original post had a lot more thought than "what's the fastest browser out there?" 
Firefox... I asked about it. It claims to be fast but I have a lot of trouble with it not responding so well.
Guess I can go google that as well?  :(

Edited by millipede, 24 March 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

I rely on proven testing by several organizations rather then opinion and conjecture, the link provided goes to many testing sites that have all come to the same conclusion. 

Fire Fox is the best, it has slipped a bit at times but has always bounced back.  That in time may change as all things do, I bought my first computer in 1972 the changes have been massive changes.  One the powers that be will implant chips in us, think about that one!

Respectively

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 24 March 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thanks.  guess now I need to figure out why it lags so much on my computer and if there's anything I can do about it.  If I've had it open with multiple tabs long enough, I usually have to shut it down and restart it to get it to function properly.  Sometimes I'll have to close it if I try to watch tv through windows media player(via antenna). My tv program will hang HORRIBLY til I close a few things. That's probably at least partly my computer but, firefox is quite responsible for most issues.  And, it's similar on my son's laptop. He'll have firefox and IE open playing the same game as myself and, the IE account responds better.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

I have issues with fire fox over the years, what has worked best for me was to save my book marks then uninstall it.  Then grab a fresh copy, I have found using Revo Uninstallers advanced feature did the best job.

Phil

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

I have used Firefox for years and while it can take a moment or two to start up it loads web pages perfectly adequately. I sometimes use Chrome and occasionaly IE and I am not aware ever of it being slower.

I must admit that one of my main reasons for using Firefox is that I can set it up to run the way I want it to, not the way Google or MS want it to.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

millepede,

Aside from members telling you to search on google, rely on your own experience with the different web browsers!  Your OWN experience.  You! YOU try them yourself and decide which of them work best.  You can find reports through a google search that are what people posted, like articles about technical time and speed tests for Opera, Chrome this and Chrome that, and Firefox, and whatever other browsers.  From that, you might try to decide, but YOUR EXPERIENCE might seem different from what you have read.  

I have some browsers, although not all are up-to-date, on Windows Vista.  They are  Pale Moon, Firefox, Opera, Comodo Ice Dragon, Slimjet, Internet Explorere 9.

The SLOW browsers are Ice Dragon, IE, and at times, Firefox.    Firefox often takes about 10 to 15 seconds to open and maybe up to 20 seconds to fully load the start-page.

The FAST browser is Pale Moon.

When I say "fast" or "slow", I do not mean according to actual time measurement, but just by feel.  If using a browser feels like it takes too long, then it IS taking too long.  

The advice from members to search through a search engine such as google:  If you try that, you may (or sometimes may not) find answers to some of your questions.  I accidentally deleted Recycle Bin several months ago, did not know what to do, asked for advice in BleepingComputer/forums, and meanwhile tried a search on google.  I found an article somewhere in the listings, read it, tried it, and it worked.  A bit later, I still received a response or two.  Now, the internet has at least one or two more 'articles' for what to do about returning a deleted Recycle Bin.  I am still with you about the BP forum community.  A network for giving and receiving advice and exposing other information about computers, equipment, and software.  Less searching - just a well organized set of boards so you know what to find and where to put.  At the same time, try to look for answers through a search with a search engine, because often you can find something you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users