Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dozens of Application Data folders nested/embedded

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnDohe

JohnDohe

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

While trying to delete a troublesome app (AI Suite III (3) ) I found within my User profile was an Application data folder
that held yet another Application data folder and another Application data folder and another Application data folder. . .

Each folder was actually a shortcut. I got 23 layers deep until I simply could not open the final Application data folder.

This last folder was not a shortcut, but Win7 would not, or could not, open it even though I'd taken ownership, gotten
all the permissions, auditing, etc.

I suspect that maybe the file name is simply too long.

I further suspect that this is done intentionally by someone knowing windows filename length limitations, which leads
me to suspect foul play at play.

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Application Data\Adobe\Application Data\Adobe\ . . . repeats like 23 times

until I finally get to an Application Data folder that isn't a shortcut to another one.

All the subfolder shortcuts are subfolders of Adobe:

Attached File  Application Data buried in multiple folders-1.PNG   106.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Application Data buried in multiple folders-2.PNG   92.84KB   0 downloads

The final, non-shortcutted, Application Data subfolder I cannot open nor can I take ownership.

When I try to take ownership (using a TakeOwnership utility) I get a popup, Explorer.exe, telling me the filename is too long:

Attached File  Application Data buried in multiple folders-can't own-filename too long.PNG   40.68KB   1 downloads

Any idea whats going on?

Is this normal Adobe behavior?

Should I be worried?

Is there a fix?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

From your description it seems something or someone messed with the permissions of the Junction points that Microsoft creates on Windows for compatibility reasons, by default they are locked from the users to avoid that recursive problem you describe.

My suggestion is to restore the permissions to default by doing the following:

Download Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable

• extract the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to c:\Windows\TEMP the zip will extract to a folder called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
  • execute the file Repair_Windows.exe from the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, accept the Security warning and the EULA
  • click the button Jump To Repairs
  • click the Open Repairs button to access the following screen:
    WindowsRepair.png
  • click the box All Repairs to uncheck all the box's
  • check only the following box's:
    • 02 - Reset File Permissions
  • check the box Restart/Shutdown System When Finished > Restart System
  • click the Start Repairs button

After doing this its normal that some shortcuts give you the permission error "c:\users\your_user\... is not accessible. Access is denied." simply ignore that because its by design, if you set Windows to not show the protected System files all those shortcuts will not be visible.

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 March 2018 - 11:27 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users