Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have buyed some old Desktop pc's which i'm sure Linux will work on it. :D ..

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

But i dont know which one i would choose..

Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Xubuntu.. 

I like Xubuntu thats a point but how is the community (support) with it?

How fast are LTS releases with Xubuntu..?

is Xubuntu good enough for (beginners) that use Linux..

i've heard some nasty things about Linux and Ubuntu.. :/ 

Should i be good with Xubuntu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

https://xubuntu.org/

Start here

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

You heard some "nasty things" about Linux because somebody tried to pump your head full of lies and BS;

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/673083/ive-had-a-serious-discussion-with-my-friend-about-linux/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

But i dont know which one i would choose..

Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Xubuntu.. 

I like Xubuntu thats a point but how is the community (support) with it?

How fast are LTS releases with Xubuntu..?

is Xubuntu good enough for (beginners) that use Linux..

i've heard some nasty things about Linux and Ubuntu.. :/ 

Should i be good with Xubuntu?

You should test them all out first

Xubuntu is Ubuntu based and therefore has much support at the Ubuntu sites.  How popular it is at this point I don't know, you would have to go look at the Ubuntu site to see.

I have not used Xubuntu for a while now, but it seemed to be a good distro at the time.

I'v had problems with Linux Mint Mate every time I use it do won't suggest that one at all.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

I have found that there are those who will do and will understand and will know from experience how things are because they will try them. :thumbsup:  Doers

Then there are those who will never understand and will never know how things are because they will never try out anything for themselves. :(  Armchair Users

For the most one Linux Distro is the same as another with just a different GUI / Desktop which either requires minimal resources or a high demand of resources.

I've found forums and forum support to be good for most Linux Distros although can depend a lot on the  person who answers your post.

Best advice is try the Linux Distros you think you like and determine for yourself which Linux Distro works best for you and the computer it will be used on.

Here's Some Good Reading.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Edited by The-Toolman, 24 March 2018 - 11:18 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

I've runned Xubuntu on the first pc and it runs amazing blazingly fast and no problems/issues at all! :D

already enabled UFW to in Xubuntu, for sure xD but i'm still reading on sites that open-source Operating-systems are targeted for viruses, malware to and even more then Windows because they say Developers creates open-source apps/programs and they can load malicious code into it LOL ... i have stepped over to Linux because Windows is a fully Backdoor and you can get viruses, malware in no time.. :/ They even say Ubuntu has Spyware (but that was something with Amazon i think idk..) and finally i have sayed to my friends to test Linux out and they did! :D but do i need an AV in Xubuntu? and the Hardware works smooth on Xubuntu :D any recommendations, ideas are always welcome to speed-up, or make Xubuntu even more secure! :D

i will try Xubuntu on the other computers to in a moment :D

Cheers

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 24 March 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 823 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Post removed

Edited by Gary R, 24 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 823 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Post removed

Edited by Gary R, 24 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

I've runned Xubuntu on the first pc and it runs amazing blazingly fast and no problems/issues at all! :D

already enabled UFW to in Xubuntu, for sure xD but i'm still reading on sites that open-source Operating-systems are targeted for viruses, malware to and even more then Windows because they say Developers creates open-source apps/programs and they can load malicious code into it LOL ... i have stepped over to Linux because Windows is a fully Backdoor and you can get viruses, malware in no time.. :/ They even say Ubuntu has Spyware (but that was something with Amazon i think idk..) and finally i have sayed to my friends to test Linux out and they did! :D but do i need an AV in Xubuntu? and the Hardware works smooth on Xubuntu :D any recommendations, ideas are always welcome to speed-up, or make Xubuntu even more secure! :D

Cheers

I peruse the internet every day of the week and I have never came across any such info as you are claiming. Can you post a few links so that we may see exactly what you are talking about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Cheers

I peruse the internet every day of the week and I have never came across any such info as you are claiming. Can you post a few links so that we may see exactly what you are talking about.

I dont have Links.. but i have came it across some sites and youtube videos and talking things.. 

I want to full switch over to Linux and Ditch Windows but i want to be sure about Linux 

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Do you believe everything that is said on Youtube. :rolleyes:

You need to check more reliable sources for information other than where clowns post to due videos.

Every OS is vulnerable to attacks 1st rule of engagement.

If you have your UFW / GUFW enabled then don't worry you are safe.

Here's a good read about security in Linux.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/security

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

You've been given good advice.

There are many good reasons to use a Linux distro just as there are reasons to use MS Windows.

I use both.

But for different purposes and different reasons.

I use a Live DVD of Tahrpup online and am posting using it now. MS has nothing comparable that boots from a CD, DVD or flash drive.

Linux is more resistant to malware than Windows. Windows having more desktops in use also is of a greater focus for malicious intrusion. Where ever you are reading or hearing Linux is more prone to malware than Windows, it's simply not true. Never has been.

That said, I quit on Windows , on line, for a different reason that's irrelevant to this conversation.

Toolman has nailed it.

And if you haven't noticed, many Linux users use it the way they want.

With MS, you use it mostly the way they want.

If you spend the time to learn about Linux and use the forums for operational questions, I think you'll find there is a lot less stress worrying about malware, upgrades and security updates that cause conflicts.

I did and I now spend considerably less time on the Internet worrying about my operating system.

So .....make a choice of what distro looks interesting, test drive it, if that doesn't work out, try another distro until you find one you can live with.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

A good choice for older hardware is Mint XFCE edition. It uses somewhat fewer resources than the Cinnamon editions, is reliable and reasonably user friendly. With the 18 series most hardware works straight out of the box and installing software is not overly demanding if you are happy with what is in the Mint repositories. Going outside of them is a little more difficult but not that much more so.

The other thing that has been said about Mint countless times here in the Linux section is that it is quite like Windows in its appearance which comes as less of a shock to anyone coming to it cold.

And the story about Linux being especially vulnerable to malware etc. is just that - a story, and a fairy story at that !

Chris Cosgrove

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

but i'm still reading on sites that open-source Operating-systems are targeted for viruses, malware

That is absolute rubbish. Straight out of the box Linux is way safer than any Windows.

Whats a virus?

Edited by NickAu, 25 March 2018 - 05:01 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Another plus with Linux Mint 18 versions is it gives a user a full five years of support before reaching EOL.

Xubuntu LTS only gives three years of support before reaching EOL.

Edited by The-Toolman, 24 March 2018 - 06:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users