Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ready to Pull My Hair Out! Wi-Fi Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

Hey guys, hope you're having an awesome day!

So this is a recent issue (today). Here's the deal:

I have a repeater installed in my bedroom because the signal from the main modem is far to weak by the time it reaches my computer.

The repeater creates a secondary wifi I can connect to.

I've been using the secondary wifi and everything was working fine for weeks till suddenly I have this issue: basically I can't connect to a bunch of internet pages. I have an internet connection, and a google search (for example) works but if I click any of the links I get the "Hmm... can't reach this page" message.

The crazy thing is, if I connect to the main wifi, everything works, and the pages load. The issue is that the main wifi signal is very weak so I'd rather use the secondary one.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mind_001

Mind_001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Try setting each wireless device on a different channel. They may be fighting with each other to be supreme.

#3 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Try setting each wireless device on a different channel. They may be fighting with each other to be supreme.

Cool, that sounds likely. How do I do that?

#4 Mind_001

Mind_001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

You have to go into the router's setting. Should be in the Wi-Fi tab.

Being I don't know what router you have, I can't help you.

#5 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

You have to go into the router's setting. Should be in the Wi-Fi tab.

Being I don't know what router you have, I can't help you.

It's an action Tech used by Telus (Canada).

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

Is it always the same pages you can't get to? Can you always get to some but not others? This sounds more like a DNS hijack than wifi issue from what I read so far. Possibly your repeater (if it's a repurposed router) has been hacked and your DNS redirected at that point - I've had several clients experience this over the last two years or so. You can try manually setting your PC to a static, known DNS like Google's 8.8.8.8 and see if it suddenly works.

#7 SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

Is it always the same pages you can't get to? Can you always get to some but not others? This sounds more like a DNS hijack than wifi issue from what I read so far. Possibly your repeater (if it's a repurposed router) has been hacked and your DNS redirected at that point - I've had several clients experience this over the last two years or so. You can try manually setting your PC to a static, known DNS like Google's 8.8.8.8 and see if it suddenly works.

Hi Orecom, hacked sounds right. I had the same issue on my iphone connected to the router/wifi.

Interestingly, today I do not have the same problem and everything is back to norma on the router, but the main has the issue now.

How do I set my PC to static?

I tried the "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.8.4" trick yesterday but nothing changed.

#8 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

What is the device used as the repeater? It is probably going to take resetting it to defaults, reloading/updating firmware (if possible), and reconfiguring it to clean up anything that has compromised it. Also change the Admin password...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users