Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Admin password removal or reset

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bollyboy432

Bollyboy432

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

Hi Guys & Girls

I'm new here and have joined in the hope that someone can help me with an admin account issue.  I have a Windows 10 machine that I recently bought 2nd hand with windows 10 64 bit.  I have a basic user account I can access but the admin password I was initially given no longer works (i did write it down and test is successfully at the time but now it doesn't work). Previous owner also tried to make sure that I had not written it down wrong, but no luck.   I'm still using it on a daily basis but I cant install new software without a valid admin account password.  Trawling around the net I have tried all kinds of ways to try and recover or remove the password without success.  Now I've backed up important data and intend to reinstall windows from a new version/license.  First of all I cant seem to re format the drive.  Can anyone talk me through that and let me now if I will need an admin password to do that as well.  Secondly I can seem to make it boot from a USB drive.  Are these two issues related to ordinary V admin rights issues?   Any help greatly received.

BB432 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

1. You do not need a new license, your PC has a digital license that is registered with Microsoft.

2. You do not need to reformat your PC before you perform a clean install, you format your PC during the clean install.

3. Download a new copy of Windows 10 and create a bootable USB stick   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4. During installation be sure to skip the part that asks for your product code and be sure to delete all the partitions on your hard drive.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 24 March 2018 - 04:58 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Bollyboy432

Bollyboy432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

Thank you Rocky for your response.  To download a new copy of windows and create a bootable disk requires install of the Microsoft Media Creation tool which of course requires Admin rights to install.  So that doesn't help.  Can I download it and create the bootable image on to a USB drive on a Mac.  I have my work Mac with me as well and hoping you can tell me how to do this on that and reinstall on the windows machine from the USB drive.

BB432

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

You can just download the ISO file and put it on your desktop. After that you should be able to execute from safe mode.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thank you Rocky for your response.  To download a new copy of windows and create a bootable disk requires install of the Microsoft Media Creation tool which of course requires Admin rights to install.  So that doesn't help.  Can I download it and create the bootable image on to a USB drive on a Mac.  I have my work Mac with me as well and hoping you can tell me how to do this on that and reinstall on the windows machine from the USB drive.

BB432

If you have access, or a friend has access, to a computer that would allow the installation of the Media Creation Tool (MCT) then that is the easiest way to get the ISO file.  I do not generally have the MCT itself create the bootable USB media because I have had this fail once (maybe twice, it's been a while) and if that happens you have to start all over again, as the ISO that was downloaded isn't anywhere that I can find it.

I download the ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Bollyboy432

Bollyboy432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:38 AM

Hi Britech

I'm struggling with the basics here.  Every time I try to download the iso file via my mac I get a failed message.  I then have two files on my USB drive that I am trying to transfer across to the desktop on my windows machine before booting in safe mode as suggested.  They are:-

Win 10_1709_English_x64      disk image file 0 kb

Win 10_1079_English_x64.iso   PART File 4,194,272kb

I can seem to do any thing with them and I suspect that the Part reference means that I didn't get a complete file.  Any ideas where I can get a complete file/ download that does not fail? 

Failing this this is going to have to wait until I get access to my Windows desktop back at home and try downloading there.  That wont be for anotehr week at least unfortunately so any pointers to help will be greatly appreciated.

BB432

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

^^^^ Did you use bootcamp? That is the only way to do this on a Mac.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Unetbootin for MAC can create a bootable USB but I can't confirm it will work on a Windows iso.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB flash drive but that command is dangerous if not used properly.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/05/copy-iso-to-usb-drive-mac-os-x-command/

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

Just based on what's been offered by the OP the download of the ISO is not completing for some reason.  I have no idea what that reason would be and I doubt that it has anything to do on what platform it's being downloaded on.  (The issue of whether you can successfully create a bootable USB drive with the Windows ISO via a Mac is another issue altogether).

The presence of the PART file tells me that the download did not complete.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Bollyboy432

Bollyboy432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

Hi Britech

That is what I thought too so even using bootcamp to create the USB bootable image is not going to help with only half a file.  On that basis I am going to have to wait until I get back home and try and create it form my windows desktop.  I didn't want to take to take this laptop home with me but now I will have to find room in my suitcase.  

Will let everyone know in due course if I can crack this with the advice you have all given me.

BB432 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

If you are going back to a Windows computer you could enable the Hidden Administration Account on the problematic computer. This would give you access to the computer via a local account.

See my post here.

#12 Bollyboy432

Bollyboy432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

Hey guys, all sorted now.  I had to wait till I got back home to create an install disk on my Windows 10 desktop, but once I used that and reinstalled windows 10 I now have admin access.  it seems to have installed with the existing license/activation code as well so I didn't need to do anything there.  Many thanks to everyone who helped and offered advice.

BB432 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users