Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Update Shut Off My Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

I use Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes side by side on my Windows 8.1 laptop.  But my last update of Malwarebytes installed (without asking me first) the new, full version on a 14 day trial. Then it says it will revert back to the free version.

Naturally, this shut off Defender, because Defender and the full version of MWB conflict.

Questions: does the full MWB turn off my Windows Firewall, too?

And when MWB reverts to the free version, will Defender take over automatically, or do I need to turn its protections back on manually?

Edited by zombiewhacker, 23 March 2018 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:22 AM

You can open Malwarebytes and click on settings.

Then click on Accounts tab at top.

Look for the 'Deactivate trial' near bottom of window and click to allow change.

You will then have to agree to change, it deactivates,  and then a window will slide up near clock on taskbar asking it you really want to do this. Click in the correct place (you will understand when you see slide)

Allow prompt and you are done.

I personally don't like it when a trial is installed like this. 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,959 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:31 AM

Malwarebytes 3.x Premium works well and should run alongside Windows Defender 8/10 without conflicts.

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.x...we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.x.

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.x, a next-generation antivirus replacement

...For our users who do prefer to continue using a traditional antivirus alongside Malwarebytes, by all means please continue to do so. Malwarebytes will always maintain compatibility with all major security software on the market, both free and paid. In particular, Microsoft’s traditional antivirus Windows Defender is included by default and for free with Windows 8 and 10, and is a useful additional layer alongside Malwarebytes 3.x.

Malwarebytes 3.x FAQs: Third-Party Testing & Antivirus Replacement

There are members of the Microsoft community who recommend only to use the free version of Malwarebytes as a stand-alone scanner to avoid possible conflicts. Although there have been some reports from Windows Defender users that it will not work when Malwarebytes Premium is installed, others have indicated the two products work fine together so you may need to experiment and add Exclusions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:20 AM

@opera

Yay, that worked! I got my Defender back.  Thanks!

@quietman7

That's useful to know.  Maybe sometime in the future I'll switch to the full MWB version. 

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:44 AM

@opera

Yay, that worked! I got my Defender back.  Thanks!

Good to hear that you are sorted now :)

Edited by opera, 26 March 2018 - 01:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users