Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 wont boot. Spash and crash/reset

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 win7ken

win7ken

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Been fighting to fix my Windows 7 SP1 wont boot issue for a few week. Im pretty savvy, but time to throw in the towel and aske the experts.

Symptoms.
- Wont boot into Windows regular or any version of Safe Modes.
- Ran Startup repair too many times.
- Tried SFC a few times from the command prompt off the Install/repair disk get a protection notice.
- Ran SFC with the offwindir and offbootdir switches as below and get the disk protection error.
- Ran chkdsk /f /r on all drives/partitions a few times.
- Drive letters mixed up Should be System is C:, D: is Apps, E: is Data, OS changes is often F:, but really should be C:
- Files are there, and Ive cloned the original disk to a HD, in case there were surface/sector issue on the original HD. The crash after splash followed to the new HD.
- Occurred in mid-late Feb.
- Shut down for the night and boot issue the next day/time booted.
- Safemode seems to crash while on the disk.sys file.
- Usually a quick unreadable BSOD, but did once show something like a "fatal system error knowndll" or something like that.

Guesses:
Corrupt system file(s)?
Bad Partches/KB load?
Somehow I think I either had a bad disk and a key file got corrupted, or a bad patch loaded.

Sucks that you have to be IN Windows to effectively run SFC...or even be able to in place 'upgrade'

Need some help, advice or things to try.

Apologies if I am blowing any protocols - This is my first post

Edited by win7ken, 23 March 2018 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:45 PM

"Tried SFC a few times from the command prompt off the Install/repair disk get a protection notice." What exactly was the message?

#3 win7ken

win7ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

“Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation”

#4 win7ken

win7ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:32 AM

Read and ran the ICALS stuff. No joy

#5 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:48 AM

See if Ensure that PendingDeletes and PendingRenames Folders Exist, helps https://www.infopackets.com/news/9620/how-fix-sfc-scannow-fails-wont-complete

Also Method 6  http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-windows-resource-protection-could-not-perform-the-requested-operation/

Edited by RokTV, 24 March 2018 - 12:49 AM.

#6 win7ken

win7ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

Yes both folders exist and I am running the 64 bit version of cmd off of the windows 7 64 bit install/repair disk

#7 win7ken

win7ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:41 AM

Remember I cannot boot into Windows or Safe Mode, so any tips to try requiring me to be in windows is a non starter.

I do have Bootable utility disks, like Hirens boot CD, UBCD4WIN, athe Windows repair disk and Windows Install/repair disk.

#8 win7ken

win7ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Not sure if any of these log files might help.

One recovery attempt showed the last good log on was 2/26/2018

Attached are the CBS.Log file and Windows Update log and loaded packages, if they help.

Anyone?

Obviously my goal is not to wipe an reinstall... :(

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users