- Wont boot into Windows regular or any version of Safe Modes.
- Ran Startup repair too many times.
- Tried SFC a few times from the command prompt off the Install/repair disk get a protection notice.
- Ran SFC with the offwindir and offbootdir switches as below and get the disk protection error.
- Ran chkdsk /f /r on all drives/partitions a few times.
- Drive letters mixed up Should be System is C:, D: is Apps, E: is Data, OS changes is often F:, but really should be C:
- Files are there, and Ive cloned the original disk to a HD, in case there were surface/sector issue on the original HD. The crash after splash followed to the new HD.
- Occurred in mid-late Feb.
- Shut down for the night and boot issue the next day/time booted.
- Safemode seems to crash while on the disk.sys file.
- Usually a quick unreadable BSOD, but did once show something like a "fatal system error knowndll" or something like that.
Corrupt system file(s)?
Bad Partches/KB load?
Somehow I think I either had a bad disk and a key file got corrupted, or a bad patch loaded.
Sucks that you have to be IN Windows to effectively run SFC...or even be able to in place 'upgrade'
Need some help, advice or things to try.
Apologies if I am blowing any protocols - This is my first post
Edited by win7ken, 23 March 2018 - 10:45 PM.